Wheezy does it - An asthma chat thread

17 watchers
Dec 2015
10:12am, 4 Dec 2015
6,860 posts
  •  
Binks book, an excellent Xmas gift
Just thought I would start a general asthma talk thread. I don't see any currently that are not specific questions.

Thought it might be good for those of us who like to splutter when we run to exchange stories/ideas/questions etc.
Dec 2015
10:12am, 4 Dec 2015
6,861 posts
  •  
Binks book, an excellent Xmas gift
I'll start.

I’ve probably had asthma for 10 years or more. Never really bothered me as a child but I often feel very wheezy when running. It has never affected my life outside of running except about 2 months ago when I spent a whole day feeling a bit wheezy and ended up going to A&E unable to breathe.

Anyhoo, this gave me a kick up the arse to get it sorted. Since then I have been given the blue inhaler and brown inhaler. When taking these my breathing when running has improved massively and I think I am seeing the benefits recently with speed. More importantly more and more of my miles at an “easy” pace don’t feel like I am trying to inhale a sock.

I’ve been going back to the docs. My peak flow (about 350 on a good day, I should be over 600) is still low. The Asthma nurse says she hoped these inhalers would improve that but it does not seem to have happened. Just had some chest x rays which I am awaiting the results for.

Basically I think the medication is certainly helping with the actual running which is great. The reason I can’t yet blow very well into a pipe remains a mystery.
Dec 2015
10:35am, 4 Dec 2015
7,625 posts
  •  
JingleLinds
Thanks for this. I'm under investigation for breathing problems at the moment. I see the consultant on 14th. Peak flow is normal and spirometry inconclusive but blue inhaler helps (although I take the syrup, as am rubbish at using the inhaler, it seems). I've been coughing and wheezy since an infection in August.

Last winter also spent most of it coughing and having breathing difficulties when I run.
Dec 2015
12:10pm, 4 Dec 2015
11,009 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
as a long-term chronic asthmatic I can say that my running has helped my asthma enormously over the years.

Prior to running I would be using the blue inhaler several times a day and could barely blow 380 on the peak flow (even on my best days). No I am down mainly using my blue inhaler to loosen the airways pre-run or, the occasional extra time during the day if / when I am exposed to allergens (pollen / excessive dust / pollution / cold / illness). When I go for my check-up I will blow the peak flow to the end now...
Dec 2015
1:38pm, 4 Dec 2015
5,854 posts
  •  
*Anj*
I've been Asthmatic since I was a child. It's been 20 yrs since I had a proper attack.

I use Symbicort, a combined inhaler that contains mostly preventor but some reliever too. It works for me.

Had a yearly check up today and blew a pb on my peakflow. 480 :-)
Dec 2015
1:46pm, 4 Dec 2015
5,249 posts
  •  
Kimbles
Binks I was in the same boat as you. I really struggled to breathe when running and felt like a lead weight was always on my chest. Doctor has put me on a brown Clenil inhaler to take morning and night and I have a blue one should things get bad. I do notice a massive difference but if I forget to take it, I also feel it. When I've got a cold I become a bit wheezy as well but its not full blown asthma like others get.
Dec 2015
2:13pm, 4 Dec 2015
319 posts
  •  
Scooby Dave
I'm quite obsessive about the numbers and do a peak flow check most mornings when I get up. I have found that for me, it's not so much how low the numbers are but how consistent. When the peak flow drops, it's normally a cold or a bug coming on and I know to stop training or reduce the intensity.

Like SODIron, the running has definitely helped, possibly as we all get so into the numbers when training.
Nov 2019
5:03pm, 4 Nov 2019
33,049 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hello old thread that no one's posted on for nearly 4 years! :-)

Have I got asthma? I have a sort of wheeze. At night it can turn into horrid cough. Was keeping me awake, affecting me when running etc. Went to docs, listened to chest, said not asthma, but more likely snot in nose due to allergies. Want to try an inhaler? So I've got the blue one (Salbutamol?) It helps (a lot) and I now use it at night and when running.

Should I go in for what she called "more tests" to determine what underlying cause is? If it's "just asthma" will I just get prescribed the blue inhaler anyway?

Thanks Asthma thread! :-) G
Nov 2019
5:06pm, 4 Nov 2019
30,578 posts
  •  
LindsD
Interesting. Mine was defo not asthma. Probably more acid reflux complicated by post-nasal drip (also allergies) and a lingering cough. Don't ever use the inhaler now. Still sometimes cough. Ended up with an urgent referral for lung cancer at the time but the consultant just laughed at me.
Nov 2019
2:27pm, 5 Nov 2019
33,056 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
GP was pretty quick to dismiss mine being anything serious, but was happy to do further tests. Inhaler def still helps me, and I'm happy to believe it's allergies / general snottiness, but I've had my allergies for 30 plus years. But I guess we change as we age. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Binks
Just thought I would start a general asthma talk thread. I don't see any currently that are not spe...