Wheezy does it - An asthma chat thread

17 watchers
Nov 2019
8:10am, 6 Nov 2019
33,068 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I don't think I had a peak flow problem (or at least when testing, the doc said it wasn't a problem), hence not asthma?

My allergy symptoms 30 years ago were streaming eyes, itchy skin and sneezing. I hardly get any of that now, hence why I'd stopped taking anti-histamines (I also don't like taking any medication unless I really have to). And when I stopped taking them my symptoms didn't get any worse. I would occasionally taken one if I'd stupid touched a horse or stroked a cat and had obvious symptoms. That was why I was surprised doc said it was caused by allergies.

Anyway, I'm happily taking everything again. Doc reminded me that nasal steroid builds up protection, so need to take consistently.

So, what are the brown and the purple inhalers?

I'm blue which I believe is just a reliever. It def helps me. Stops me coughing and eases breathing when running harder, or out in the cold or other triggers that really don't seem to be anything to do with allergies. No idea what I've actually got!

There does seem to be a range of different experiences and symptoms that people have, don't there.

Any problems with taking any of these things long term? Are there any side effects? :-) G
Nov 2019
8:34am, 6 Nov 2019
30,602 posts
  •  
LindsD
Nasal steroids are well tolerated and not absorbed elsewhere. I've been taking them for 7 years.
Nov 2019
8:35am, 6 Nov 2019
33,070 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
OK, good to know Linds. Thanks.
Nov 2019
10:00am, 6 Nov 2019
46,084 posts
  •  
GlennR
Happy G, it's not the level of the peak flow that indicates asthma - mine is always over 600 whatevertheunitis. It's the way it goes up and down when exposed to allergens.

Usually they will try to find a dosage of inhaled steroids - generally the brown preventer inhaler - that controls the symptoms. If you need to use the reliever, the blue one, too often they will up the dose of the preventer.

Even though my main medication is a combined preventer/reliever - flutiform.co.uk - I still have a blue salbutamol reliever, just in case.

I've also had montelukast prescribed recently. It's supposed to help with exercise induced symptoms and it certainly helps with the allergic rhinitis.
Nov 2019
3:09pm, 6 Nov 2019
33,073 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks Glenners. I shall sprinkle some of those drug names into a follow up convo with my doc. She'll hate me, but you don't ask you don't get! :-) G
Nov 2019
10:12pm, 7 Nov 2019
1,491 posts
  •  
beebop
Linds, please could you tell me what nasal steroids you take? Are they prescription only? Montelucast didn’t work for me (in combination with everyday and reliever inhalers) so I’m wondering if something more topical might be the answer.
Nov 2019
10:42pm, 7 Nov 2019
30,656 posts
  •  
LindsD
Mometasone Furoate
Nov 2019
10:43pm, 7 Nov 2019
30,657 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yes prescription
Nov 2019
11:36pm, 7 Nov 2019
46,157 posts
  •  
GlennR
Same here. Flixonase- Fluticasone propionate - is available without prescription though, and might do the trick.
Nov 2019
8:56am, 8 Nov 2019
33,094 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm just the Beconase spray that you can get over the counter. Beclomethasone I think? Are the prescription ones better? :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Binks
Just thought I would start a general asthma talk thread. I don't see any currently that are not spe...