What A Carve Up - Book Group discussion thread

7 watchers
Sep 2016
6:14pm, 22 Sep 2016
11,335 posts
  •  
Columba
I gave it a 6 as well, McG, both first time round and on reflection.

I assumed yes, Michael died to bring the story round full circle; and to emulate Gagarin. It didn't strike me as a tragic ending because I never felt very involved with the characters; they were parts of a pattern rather than real people.
Sep 2016
6:54pm, 22 Sep 2016
25,888 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I felt more involved with Michael I suppose - as the story was mostly narrated through him - but I did feel the 'characters as representing something else' angle was a bit heavy on the Winshaws.

Michael is also a bit of a typical Jonathan Coe character - the inadequate and unlucky in love male. See also: The Rotters Club, A Touch of Love and The Dwarves of Death all of which I liked.
Sep 2016
12:41pm, 27 Sep 2016
1,275 posts
  •  
Lorraine
Finished this last week and gave it a 5

Can't say I liked it or disliked. It took me a while to get my head around all the characters reappearing.

That's all for now as I need to think about it.
Sep 2016
9:39pm, 27 Sep 2016
3,326 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhoõk
I read it the late 90s (I think), and loved it. It's always been one of my favourite books. But maybe it is (or was) a book of its time.
Oct 2016
1:04pm, 2 Oct 2016
25,634 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Sod just wrote a review lost it WiFi lost internet

This was a book I wouldn't have picked a book when it was picked didn't excite me so wasn't looking forward to it.

sorry McGoohan I was not looking forward to it but once I had started and got more into the book the more I was gripped.

I also identified more with Michael being the narrator

The family were awful horrid not a good bone amongst them apart from Mortimer while the ending was tragic for Michael.I didn't cry for the others

It was one of them books that the more it gripped me the more I wanted to read more but things like sleep and work prevented that but looked forward to getting back to it

So thank you McGoohan for choosing it
Oct 2016
3:01pm, 14 Oct 2016
6,788 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
I struggled with this one at the beginning as there were so many characters and it took a long while to get used to the structure of the book and to work out where Michael fitted in. The middle was more enjoyable and it was almost fun to find out just how dreadful each of the Winshaws were. But towards the end it started to get tedious and I didn't like all the coincidences where everyone was connected. And I really hated the final section where everyone was killed off, especially the dialogue lifted from the film.

Overall it was well written and some bits were v. funny. I liked Michael's relationship with Fiona and her death was moving. But too much of the anti 80s stuff was just too broad and over the top. There were some fun side characters (especially the gay private eye) but there too many to keep track of along with all the Winshaws.

I probably would try another of his books but I'd prefer one with a more straightforward narrative. I was dithering between a 5 or a 6 but the bits I enjoyed made me decide to be generous and go for a 6 in the end.

Overall I was glad this is a library book ;-)
Oct 2016
12:03am, 15 Oct 2016
506 posts
  •  
Serendippily
6 on average - a lot of the winshaws stories were a 4, a vehicle for a rant rather than people which made it heavy weather. But I enjoyed a lot of the bits with Michael and they were an 8. I don't mind the odd leitmotif but it all got a bit heavy handed on the coincidences and the borrowings from other books and films by the end.
Oct 2016
8:15pm, 27 Oct 2016
12,653 posts
  •  
LindsD
Gosh, LN. My review is almost the same as yours.

I really struggled to get into it at the beginning, and was very glad of the family tree and couldn't keep up with who was who. Then I got really into it and very much enjoyed the middle section. I liked Michael (even though I wanted to throttle him, sometimes) and yes, Fiona's death was moving. I liked the way all the bits of the story tied together until <\b> the bit about Michael's father, which just seemed TOO contrived (I know, but even I have my limits...).

I also thought it was very like Complicity, which I read years ago. It was published first, so....

I really hated the bit at the end with all the murders. I thought it was very grafted on, like a different book, like an Agatha Christie, or something.

Overall I did very much enjoy the middle, though, and I think I gave it a 7. I need to check. I'm interested to read some other stuff of his, and thanks for recommending it. I might not have read it otherwise.
Oct 2016
8:15pm, 27 Oct 2016
12,654 posts
  •  
LindsD
Shit, I had a feeling the bold wouldn't turn off. Sorry!
Oct 2016
8:16pm, 27 Oct 2016
12,655 posts
  •  
LindsD
I just checked. I gave it a 9, but I think that was before I'd finished it. I've revised it to 8.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Bout time I lobbed this one up here.

This is the Sept 2016 offering. WACU by one Little Johnny Coe. Whatcha think?

Beware of reading ahead if you haven't finished it yet. Spoilers Ahoy, me hearties!