•  
FenlandRunner
Like this a lot.
Apr 2019
10:13pm, 11 Apr 2019
12,220 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I have a whistle in my handbag, bumbag, v"race" vest, car door pocket, first aid kit and on my lanyard with work keys and ID - that's as much because I work in a school and as a lifeguard as any other reason - but yes I think I'm at least as likely to have a whistle as a working mobile - they don't have to get a signal or have a working battery!
Apr 2019
10:20pm, 11 Apr 2019
3,230 posts
  •  
mr d
I had a anaphylatic shock on a trail run 5 years ago.

Used the Road ID app for ages afterwards at insistence of OH, but if you haven't got phone signal it doesn't work and Trail and Fell running generally take you out of coverage.
Apr 2019
10:20pm, 11 Apr 2019
15,013 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Self-sufficient me. Whistle, waterproof (top-half at least), hat & gloves & buff. Always. Even when walking the dog on the beach because the beaches up here are fairly quiet.

There’s plenty of folks that’ll live by the maxim that the more kit you carry the more likely you are to need it, but I think carrying some basic self-help items is prudent.
Apr 2019
10:25pm, 11 Apr 2019
230 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
I only tend to run locally but live in the sticks with patchy mobile service. If TP is at home I do him the courtesy of letting him know a rough route, but mostly I run alone and when TP is at work. Never more than a mile or so from a road/track/ house though. Round here (rural Warwickshire) I doubt many people would recognise a whistle distress signal anyway.

I used to hillwalk alone a fair bit in the Lakes/Peak/Snowdonia before being mama to the turtle. I never knew where I'd go until I decided at path junctions, often being led by the weather and available time. Always had map/compass/whistle/bivi bag just in case.
Apr 2019
9:49am, 12 Apr 2019
1,740 posts
  •  
Lesley C
My OH doesn't really like me heading to the hills myself. I will do more popular ones on my own and our local forest all ways has plenty of folk wandering about. I usually run with my friends on new routes, we all carry whistles, phone etc just in case. Even in the summer I will have extra layers in my pack, the weather can change so quick. Some of the nice routes near me are quite isolated.

Living on the edge of the Cairngorm's we are always hearing about mountain rescue being called out and folk completely in the wrong place as to where they thought and also without the correct kit. Not long ago a couple of guys thought it was wise to go up Ben Macdui in shorts, and got caught out when it started snowing.

As TM says above I doubt most folk would recognise the whistle distress signal.
Apr 2019
9:52am, 12 Apr 2019
30,493 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
When I walked TMB one of the guides showed us the inside of the lid of his Deuter rucksack, which had a panel sewn in explaining use of whistles, distress signals etc. Should be mandatory imho
Apr 2019
10:52am, 12 Apr 2019
5,004 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I heard about those two numpties who were caught on Ben Macdui in shorts, scarcely believable.

I think that most people who are serious about mountains DO know the distress signal, I've heard it used in anger a couple of times and it sends a chill down your spine when you hear it through the mist.

I must admit we don't really tell anyone where we're going when we disappear into the hills and I know it's not smart. I used to have a "text in" protocol arranged with a friend, but that's fallen into disuse, largely because of poor cellular coverage in certain areas.
Apr 2019
11:17pm, 12 Apr 2019
15,024 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I’ve got a Deuter bag (very good it is too, fast becoming my favourite man-bag) and yes, I can confirm distress signal guide pictures.
Apr 2019
9:11am, 13 Apr 2019
12,233 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I checked with youngest yesterday - he was taught distress signals and answering them as part of his DofE. He tells me his big orange plastic bivvy bag has signals and advice printed on it too.

I've never carried the big bags the kids had to have for scouts/DofE - just a foil blanket.
Was wondering about the wisdom of having one of these though:

ordnancesurvey.co.uk

especially if I've got mum with me

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Wasn't sure what to call this thread - hope that's enough to get some discussion.

In th...