Trail/fell running alone

10 watchers
Apr 2019
9:10pm, 11 Apr 2019
12,216 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Wasn't sure what to call this thread - hope that's enough to get some discussion.

In three different places on t'interweb this week I've seen the same sort of question:

What if I have a fall/get attacked/have a heart attack out on the trails somewhere - how do I call for help if I have no signal/am bundled in the back of a van/am unconscious?

In the dim and distant past, I was taught to leave a route and expected time back with someone and remember leaving route with the youth hostel I left to the one I was walking to every time.

But I have to admit to these days not often bothering to let anyone know where I'm going at all!

or if I do yell - "be back in 3 hours - going to..." as I leave how likely is it that one of my menfolk hears/takes notice?

or maybe, occasionally, remembering to leave a note at the campsite I'm at but I know I'm really not doing it properly

- how many of us do do that?

Do we rely on our mobile phones too much?

I know there are various premium strava etc. services that have a "beacon" - but I expect that they also eat battery life.

Is there a simple, clever way we could leave a note on here as to where we're going and when we should be back if venturing way "off piste" alone?
Apr 2019
9:15pm, 11 Apr 2019
1,586 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I have to be honest. I rarely tell people my route. Something to think about.
Apr 2019
9:18pm, 11 Apr 2019
30,479 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I lived on my own for years and have spent a lot of time outdoors alone. It’s a complex issue. Some ‘purist’ outdoor folk might frown at the thought of what you’re thinking about

The problem with leaving word with others while you’re out is you must ‘check in’ with them when you finish. What happens if you say twist an ankle bad enough to to slow you down but not stop you? What happens if you’re having the time of your life sand want to stay out fell wandering?

Not of the above is meant as criticism - it’s an interesting philosophical debate, and a practical concern for many people
Apr 2019
9:23pm, 11 Apr 2019
1,588 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Nicely put DT. I'm responsible for my own actions but it's when my actions effect others needs to be thought about.

Random idea. What about pairing / sharing your phone with a loved one?
Apr 2019
9:24pm, 11 Apr 2019
462 posts
  •  
davelord
This story made local news, bbc.co.uk
Apr 2019
9:25pm, 11 Apr 2019
12,523 posts
  •  
Homer
I still think a mobile phone and a whistle can be lifesavers. Most folk out there still live by the code. I walk in the hills alone loads. I do leave a route with the OH and phone when I get back to the car
Apr 2019
9:25pm, 11 Apr 2019
2,974 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I never tell anyone where I'm going. If on a longer run where I'm taking a vest to carry water food etc then I'll pop the phone in, but if running up to say 16 miles I wouldn't even bother with a phone.
If shit happens, then shit happens, some of my local trails could have no-one on them for days over winter, during summer then more chance of others finding me.
After seeing and reading Touching the Void I'd like to think I could crawl to safety if a broken leg etc ;-) , but if I have a heart attack or fall and smack my head then.............

It's not something I ever worry about.

If there was a facility on here to say where and when I was running and then you had to check in when you got back then I doubt very much I'd use it.
Apr 2019
9:34pm, 11 Apr 2019
12,219 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Good - I'm glad there's lots of viewpoints/nuances to this.

If I'm wandering on hills with the dog I have half a route in mind and a map and may or may not go the way I intended when I set out. Same on a run - general direction may be fixed, but it depends on how I feel/minimum I "need" to do which way I go.

But OTOH the thought of lying at the bottom of a ditch overnight and no-one having a clue where I'd gone and how the family would be feeling - is a worry.
Apr 2019
10:04pm, 11 Apr 2019
30,480 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
As above whistle (and for longer days) a survival bag are no brainers I think. Same with mobile imho anyway although I’ve been out plenty of times in shorts and a Pertex jacket on a Sunday afternoon and thought if anything happens to me it could be weeks before I’d be found
Apr 2019
10:08pm, 11 Apr 2019
41,244 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I often don't know where I'm going myself until I've been ;) I tend to work on the principle that the likelihood of something going wrong is tiny rather than that if something goes wrong it's 100% on that occasion.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Wasn't sure what to call this thread - hope that's enough to get some discussion.

In th...