The Sub-40-10k help and advice thread

107 watchers
22 Jun
8:16am, 22 Jun 2024
6,395 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Very good, Charles! Have you made any recent changes to training or is this reward for consistency?
SPR
22 Jun
9:42am, 22 Jun 2024
44,752 posts
  •  
SPR
Nice work @Charlie Chaplin
SPR
22 Jun
9:43am, 22 Jun 2024
44,753 posts
  •  
SPR
Sorry that should have been @Charlesvdw
22 Jun
10:17am, 22 Jun 2024
295 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
No problem, I see I made some typo's too.

@Windsor Wool it was just a race because I like to race, and sometimes I can't race because I'm in marathon training. But Amsterdam is in October, so no reason not to race now.
Proper marathon training will start in July.
I never run this fast in training, as I've said before I have only 3 paces: easy, marathon pace and occasionally strides.
24 Jun
4:07pm, 24 Jun 2024
2,416 posts
  •  
Brunski
Firstly congrats to Bowman and WW I think you knew a strong 10k on 22 miles per week was a stretch.

I've nicely detrained after my April marathon and have decided I'm going to give the local 10k a decent crack at the end of September.

This gives me 14 weeks to get ready, I have a 12 week plan I've used before (actually I jumped onto the last 8 weeks of it).

I'm not normally one for following plans (definitely not over the marathon) but may post a but in here once I kick it off to keep me accountable.
24 Jun
5:27pm, 24 Jun 2024
3,816 posts
  •  
Bowman πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ
Thanks @Brunski I’m still chuffed about it :)
God luck and have fun with your plans and September race !
jda
14 Jul
1:15pm, 14 Jul 2024
17,476 posts
  •  
jda
Think I might have a bit of work to do to justify posting on this thread :-)

After a long break I'm well off the pace, was aiming for sub-45 at Harrogate last month but failed. Today at Bentham I had another go and was pleased to get under 44. Both fairly sporting courses, I've never gone under 41 at either, even after a winter of marathon training.

Starting to get back into running, gently. No adverse reaction from the knee so far. Maybe look for some more 10ks though the autumn.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by chunkywizard
Help and Advice on how to run sub 40 minutes for 10K.

A Recommended Training Plan: mcmillanrunning.com

Upcoming attempts:
Any more, let me know!

2024 Hall of Fame:
Bowman
Charlesvdw