The Official Unofficial Book Group Book Discussion thread

58 watchers
Dec 2019
10:13am, 21 Dec 2019
28,658 posts
  •  
Let it snow Daisy
Yes it is LN. There seems to be another book by the same name, and if you google either Dark Matter or Black Matter you get a random selection of either!
Dec 2019
11:23am, 21 Dec 2019
9,994 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I *loved* that book, it was genuinely terrifying! Thanks for the info about the R4 programme, I'm going to look it up. Just the thing to listen to when it's cold and dark outside :-)
Dec 2019
12:53pm, 21 Dec 2019
31,989 posts
  •  
LindsD
I have been catching bits but I'm usually Fetching or dozing. I'll have a listen.
Dec 2019
8:29am, 22 Dec 2019
37,551 posts
  •  
Winter purpleland
I've read dark matter, it was really good. I don't know if I've still got it or passed it on. I'll have to look.
Jan 2020
8:44pm, 9 Jan 2020
19,032 posts
  •  
Columba
Rather to my relief I have finished The Way We Live Now. Certainly I enjoyed it, but towards the end (it has 100 chapters) it reads rather as though Trollope suddenly realised he had an awful lot of ends to tie up (there are about 6 plots running concurrently and interweaving). New characters are fleetingly introduced to provide marriage partners for the unwed-but-clearly-ought-to-be-wed, and one or two characters just fade unsatisfactorily away. Still, on balance I'm glad I read it.
Jan 2020
9:06pm, 9 Jan 2020
28,858 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I'm (somewhat belatedly, as it was published four or five years ago) reading and loving All the Light We Cannot See. I'm even going to bed early so I can snuggle in my bed and read :-)
Jan 2020
9:11pm, 9 Jan 2020
44,171 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I thought TWWLN was rather impressive, even the end. What was most surprising about it was how relevant it all was today.
Jan 2020
9:27pm, 9 Jan 2020
19,034 posts
  •  
Columba
@Dio - oh yes, absolutely relevant to today! At least in some ways. Not, of course, in the situation of women, who had very little autonomy at that time, unless they had an income which was all their own.
Jan 2020
9:29pm, 9 Jan 2020
19,035 posts
  •  
Columba
@Daisy - I loved that book. And recognise the inclination to go early to bed in order to read.
Jan 2020
9:31pm, 9 Jan 2020
32,591 posts
  •  
LindsD
That hasn't happened to me for ages, although there were parts of the Patrick Melrose novels that I felt like that about.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Unofficial books, underground discussion, MASSIVE SPOILERS.

Some of the most discussed books include:

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
(mind-bending mystery with halls and statues)
hive.co.uk

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (geriatric murder mystery from Britain's tallest comedic brainbox)
hive.co.uk

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
(Memoir of a homeless couple walking the SWCP)
hive.co.uk

Milkman by Anna Burns
(Superlative prize-winning fiction)
Hive link: hive.co.uk

The Player Of Games by Iain M. Banks (Sci-Fi)

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley (weird steampunk)