Support thread for students, mature and otherwise...

34 watchers
May 2021
2:59pm, 8 May 2021
75,306 posts
  •  
swittle
CasB - you may have looked at this site already:

prospects.ac.uk

Reed UK trainers used to visit college to share ideas on future directions with PT PGCE students. Their input was well informed and appropriately pitched.

reed.co.uk

UCAS advice is rather short but sweet, nonetheless.

ucas.com

It could be useful to ask a friend who's familiar with your career, successes and goal to draft some points about you as a potential post graduate.

If you can get hold of the validation doc for your course, you'll gain more insight into why it came to be and what the philosphy is behind it. Researching the career of the course leader may be worth the time too.
um
May 2021
3:05pm, 8 May 2021
4,658 posts
  •  
um
CasB - is it an MSc with tough selection, or one that requires funding, or are you or your company funding it anyway? If you're applying with funding in place I suspect it could be a tick box and sanity check you meet the criteria.
(eg my MBA wanted one, but since the company was paying and I could string a few words together, I think I was in no matter what)

If selection may be based on it, then yes, a bit of your experience, why you & the course are compatible, why that course & that establishment and what you expect to get from it. And as a 'mature' student (ie not a teenager), maybe something about 'why now', and why now is the right time for you and them.

But I'm not employed in the further/higher edu environment - others here are - so may give insight from the receiving side.
May 2021
3:27pm, 8 May 2021
250 posts
  •  
CasB
Thank you swittle and um, that's really helpful and I'm just reading through the links now. My employer is funding most of it, but it's a popular course and the only one of its kind in my field, so I'm approaching it as if it's very selective - I've already heard mention of waitlists!
um
May 2021
3:37pm, 8 May 2021
4,660 posts
  •  
um
CasB - another thing - have you contacted and spoken to anyone there? Are there options for physical or virtual visits? I suspect applications from people they know get a better chance than those who've made no contact?
Especially if it's a niche subject (as in 'the only one of it's kind ...')

(subject, as before, to advice from those in the sector and making application decisions)
May 2021
3:56pm, 8 May 2021
251 posts
  •  
CasB
Yes, they did a virtual open evening a few weeks back that I went along to (and made sure I found a thoughtful question to ask!). It was quite funny in that on one hand the course leaders were incredibly laid back, and even bemoaned that the open evening wasn't in person so they couldn't give us all a glass of wine, and on the other hand made it clear that they definitely work you hard and expect you to be good - but I guess that's how it gets its good reputation.

I've also just heard that a former colleague started the course this year, so am getting in touch and see what I can find out.
May 2021
5:47pm, 8 May 2021
46,880 posts
  •  
LindsD
I decide on admissions for MA courses and agree with all of the above. Would add choose your referees well and make sure they write glowing refs. Also try not to say what everyone else says.
Jun 2021
1:05am, 24 Jun 2021
240 posts
  •  
mattglen_
Hey all. How’s everyone getting on? It’s that time of year where some people finish, some have one summer left and others will be looking to start in a few months
Jun 2021
1:06am, 24 Jun 2021
241 posts
  •  
mattglen_
On my end, I’ve just got my dissertation due in September and my masters will be complete. Time to start applying for jobs. A couple of interviews lined up soon so fingers crossed!
Jun 2021
6:53am, 24 Jun 2021
47,899 posts
  •  
LindsD
Well done Matt
Jun 2021
8:26am, 24 Jun 2021
52,776 posts
  •  
DrPhleecingD
Good luck Matt!

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
All students, old, young, full or part-time, at any level, welcome here. There are also some poacher turned gamekeeper tutors hanging around....