Support thread for students, mature and otherwise...

34 watchers
Jul 2021
11:32pm, 30 Jul 2021
78,024 posts
  •  
swittle
If you can come through a pandemic ravaged year with flying colours, you'll cope with anything education and educating may throw your way! Well done indeed! :)
Jul 2021
10:32am, 31 Jul 2021
2,280 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
Fantastic HFE.
Oct 2021
5:46pm, 24 Oct 2021
484 posts
  •  
CasB
Hello all, I was very slack and didn't come back to thank you for the advice on my MSc application earlier this summer, which was really helpful and much appreciated. I got in! First teaching weekend was earlier this month (really interesting and only slightly terrifying :-) ) and I have just finished my first essay, hurrah!

Good luck to anyone also starting a new course!
Oct 2021
6:15pm, 24 Oct 2021
53,323 posts
  •  
DrPhleecingD
Well done cas! I’m teaching masters students this year and they are all slightly terrified so I’d say this is entirely normal. It just means it’s important and challenging :)
Oct 2021
10:57pm, 24 Oct 2021
50,381 posts
  •  
LindsD
Well done!
Oct 2021
10:42am, 25 Oct 2021
485 posts
  •  
CasB
Thank you! Yes, definitely important and challenging, and I'm sure that once we're into the swing of it, and have got our heads around citations and referencing and virtual learning environments (it was all very different when I was an undergrad 25 years ago!) we'll all be absolutely fine.
Oct 2021
12:11pm, 25 Oct 2021
2,396 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
I'm sure you'll do fine CasB.
Apr 2022
7:26pm, 5 Apr 2022
409 posts
  •  
shyfire
Resurrecting thread. Wonders how CasB is getting on. I have a question, apologies if somewhere within the other 286 pages. I am considering an online MSc in subject related to my job. Applicant portals ask for academic references. I haven't been a taught student for 25 years. What is the norm for this?
Apr 2022
8:48pm, 5 Apr 2022
661 posts
  •  
CasB
Hi shyfire. Mine asked for my transcripts from my first degree, and two work references. It might be worth emailing the admissions office for the course and asking them? Our course administrators are amazing and have helped us all navigate the return to academia with immense patience for our many stupid questions :-) Good luck!

I'm just over halfway through year one and still really enjoying it - into the swing of essay writing and so on, although it definitely takes more time than the 10 hours of self-study a week they said it would. I've reduced and compressed my working hours slightly to get a non-working day each week which has made a real difference and would definitely recommend that if it's an option for you. But overall it's already really helping me at work, and I can feel my thinking getting broader and see myself changing my approach to some things based on what I've studied.
Apr 2022
9:18pm, 5 Apr 2022
410 posts
  •  
shyfire
Good to hear you are enjoying the course CAsB and managing to combine work and study. Also useful to know work referees should suffice. I have the opportunity to do one of the modules as a stand alone short course so that should be a useful taster before deciding to apply.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
All students, old, young, full or part-time, at any level, welcome here. There are also some poacher turned gamekeeper tutors hanging around....