SERIOUSLY LORD FETCH - SORT IT OUT!

72 watchers
23 Mar
7:28pm, 23 Mar 2024
27,635 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Anybody have wayward elevation figures today? (Probably not down to Fetch, but the data source). I'm just back from a bike ride, starting and finishing at my house. Which apparently sunk 20m in the time I was away. Other bits also read decidedly lower, 30m at one point. Even odder perhaps, as much was an out and back, the back seems ok-ish (for a bit), whilst the out was decidedly wonky donkey.

(parkrun earlier was fine, and the Garmin chart for the ride looks ok.)
23 Mar
8:55pm, 23 Mar 2024
17,094 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Does your watch have a pressure sensor in it? If so, it gives you the elevation data and could indicate the port is clogged. If not then the data is auto-magically calculated and then I don’t know what could be wrong!
23 Mar
9:10pm, 23 Mar 2024
27,640 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Nothing as fancy as barometric. (Which quite often seems wonky itself.)
23 Mar
9:59pm, 23 Mar 2024
10,581 posts
  •  
minardi
More often than not my route shows as having a hill right at the start of my run even though I live in flattest Lincolnshire.
23 Mar
10:33pm, 23 Mar 2024
7,363 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Following on from minardi's point - one of my runs starts and finishes on a flat path next to a deep quarry - I always get my biggest hill on that section, which is just down to the granularity of the elevation data - the nearest elevation data point is in the quarry!
um
24 Mar
8:39am, 24 Mar 2024
8,295 posts
  •  
um
For info on elevation, with apologoes if you ll know all of thsi already.
You have a choice of elevaton sources, your watch or the big server in the sky, see

Training > Your Log, and clicking the Settings button.
Within the settings you can untick 'Use Watch Elevation'.

There's also a couple of Fetch blogs on elevations :-
Feb 21 fetcheveryone.com/blog/3/2021/2#blog419566
Mar 21 fetcheveryone.com/blog/3/2021/3/421624
um
24 Mar
8:42am, 24 Mar 2024
8,296 posts
  •  
um
And as a recurring thought, isn't this the most insulting thread name ever?
Is there any similar group thought to try and get it changed to something a bit better?
Even if it's not a direct line to Fetch?
24 Mar
8:43am, 24 Mar 2024
7,364 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Yep - I've tried both: watch is very inconsistent. Big server in the sky is much better but has the (understandable) odd glitch such as described above. I wonder whether eventually it will be effective to switch to getting elevation from lidar data which has a 1 metre granularity
24 Mar
8:48am, 24 Mar 2024
41,327 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I would love to see the title changed, even if it's just to have caps removed, I don't know if the thread owner is still on Fetch though 🤔
24 Mar
8:51am, 24 Mar 2024
85,165 posts
  •  
Diogenes
About This Thread
Maintained by SPKoF
Fetch says: I ignore this thread. If you've got a bug to report or a favour to ask, please use the feedback link at the top of every page.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPKoF
Fetch says: I ignore this thread. If you've got a bug to report or a favour to ask, please use the feedback link at the top of every page.