Running shoe size

1 watcher
Jan 2016
11:59am, 27 Jan 2016
2 posts
  •  
NeilosMac
Obviously the best deals are online for running shoes. Ive researched the pair I want, but can save £50 if i buy half a size too small, or similarly half a size too big. My current road & trail shoes are an 8, but i do get bruised toes on long runs in the road shoes. Im tempted to opt for the 8.5 allowing for splay & movement..there seems no concise opinion from google searches whether this is recommended.
.B.
Jan 2016
12:14pm, 27 Jan 2016
21,218 posts
  •  
.B.
Often people need running shoes at least a half size bigger than normal shoes. I take 5 in running shoes but 4 in normal shoes. Bruised toes might suggest you jeed a bigger size. It is best to try shoes on at a shop and get advice on fit etc. Once I have a shoe I like though I get them cheaply online.
Jan 2016
12:15pm, 27 Jan 2016
611 posts
  •  
jdarun
bruised toes can't be a good sign. I reckon you should size up even if the 8s were available. Thicker socks can adjust by half a size anyway IME.
Jan 2016
12:21pm, 27 Jan 2016
11,270 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I've moved up half a size in running shoes. I don't know about "proper" shoes, I never buy them. If you are getting bruised toes, I'd say you need bigger, although your shoes might not be secure and your feet are sliding forward. Make sure you can return them and if so try the bigger size. You might even, like B., be able to go up a whole size. If they are a little loose, thick socks can pad them (if trail shoes that's not a bad idea anyway).

Don't go smaller :-o
Jan 2016
12:22pm, 27 Jan 2016
1,631 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Better too big than too tight - you can always put a thicker insole in, and/or thicker socks
Jan 2016
12:46pm, 27 Jan 2016
736 posts
  •  
Mazlin
My running shoes are a size bigger than my normal shoes. Last time I bought some the guy in the shop said that they 'like you to have' a size up from normal if you're running half marathon distance or more. You can also change the lacing to make it tighter around your foot if necessary.
Jan 2016
1:54pm, 27 Jan 2016
286 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
I have found that running shoe size tends to be a bigger one needed (my normal shoes are 10 but running shoes are 10.5 and 11). Adidas shoes come up quite small as I found to my cost when I bought a pair of trail shoes three years ago. they seemed a bit snug but not too tight but after a couple of months developed horrific blood blisters on my second toes (which are longer than my big toes). I found out later that Adidas for some peculiar reason are 1/2 a size smaller than "they should be". The foot must swell up quite a bit if you are putting the miles in I suppose.
Jan 2016
2:12pm, 27 Jan 2016
49 posts
  •  
skookie
I'm a 10 in normal shoes/trainers but when i got fitted for my first pair of running trainers, I was advised always get a 10.5 as your feet will swell etc and will give more room. I cant drive in my running trainers as too big a gap at the toes and they always feel funny when first put on.... but as soon as I start running they are fine. been buying a 10.5 for nearly 4 years now and cant say I will ever buy a 10
Jan 2016
2:16pm, 27 Jan 2016
3,236 posts
  •  
Steampunk seratonin
I wear size 8 shoes but use size 9 for running. My feet swell on longer runs which can be painful. I tend to use double skinned socks too.
Jan 2016
2:26pm, 27 Jan 2016
2,626 posts
  •  
Triplet Dad
I'm an 8 for everyday use but always run in 8.5 which was recommended to me by my local running shop some years ago and I've always stuck to it and find it works well for me.

About This Thread

Maintained by NeilosMac
Obviously the best deals are online for running shoes. Ive researched the pair I want, but can save ...