running in mud instead of walking gingerly

7 watchers
Nov 2018
10:31am, 30 Nov 2018
2,743 posts
  •  
StuH
If you're after grip in mud but don't wan't to pay Salomon/Inov8 prices MoreMile Cheviots are good.
Nov 2018
2:04pm, 30 Nov 2018
29,629 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh yeah, +1 for the Cheviots. I had a couple of pairs, at only £25 or even less, lots of grip. But quite heavy, and chunky and stiff. You pays your money, you takes your choc ice.

I had Brooks Cascadias (I think) once because I thought they were a trail shoe. Almost useless in terms of grip for me, and fell apart really quickly, so for me Inov-8s (I sometimes get over 1000 miles in them) are actually better value, even if they cost £100. :-) G
Nov 2018
2:11pm, 30 Nov 2018
51,607 posts
  •  
swittle
larkim's post no. 6122 is deserving of wider circulation. Fear of the 'new' eats away at confidence, while being confident in approach & technique in the mud reduces the risk of slip-sliding away.
Nov 2018
2:15pm, 30 Nov 2018
3,788 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
+1 for what larkim said. I was nervous about mud too but have got better with practice and I’m OK with it now - as long it’s not on a steep downhill.

I prefer running to walking through mud, I think that’s down to forefoot striking and more momentum than walking. I’m happier using a pole if I’m walking through mud.

My trail shoes are strictly speaking only hybrids, and I’ve never felt the need to get anything with more grip, I think info I was a faster runner I’d need more grip though.
Nov 2018
3:42pm, 30 Nov 2018
29,639 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
And to OP mulbs, remember poles can't be used in many UK races (those run under UK Athletics or Scottish or Welsh Athletics jurisdiction, I think - insurance reasons?). No reason you couldn't walk, run, and/or train with them, just wouldn't be able to race with them in *some* races. :-) G
um
Nov 2018
3:46pm, 30 Nov 2018
624 posts
  •  
um
Mulbs - if it's specifically mud, then look at the lugs ... plain 'trail shoes' with tyre like tread may not be much better than road - and some I've had just clogged up with mud to become even worse (heavier & slipperier with 1kg of clay on each)

Also - (useless advice now) - I tend to buy when cheap, not when I need them. So typically buy at end of spring/summer when they are cheap, last years model etc.

Just back from a run through mud & gunge in my mudclaws - and sorry to ignore the excellent advice, but I find they give me enough grip to confidently go round the cambers on puddles instead straight throught the middle. (I'm a wimp, I like dry feet)

Nov 2018
5:06pm, 30 Nov 2018
44,221 posts
  •  
The Mighty Fleecy
Sportshoes.com tends to have ridiculously cheap trail shoes, I tend to go for Saucony Peregrines as they’re comfy, grippy and cheap. I have some proper Innov8 x talons or something but they bugger my Achilles (when nothing else does) so I can’t wear them for long and only in pure mud.
Nov 2018
5:15pm, 30 Nov 2018
8,226 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yep. Straight through without thinking about it is the best way forward. Unless it's that really slippy, slidy, clay-like mud, it shouldn't be too skiddy (I can explain why clay-type mud is slippier than normal mud if you like...)

Mudclaws for muddy fell/XC, X-Talons for fell when it's a bit drier or not-too-muddy orienteering.

Cheaper trail shoes for trails. Even if a bit muddy.

It's not the mud that's necessarily a problem - it's mud+gradient (up, down or severe camber)

That said orienteering knackers shoes. I'm going to try the More Mile ones on the grounds that they're a lot cheaper and if they get pulled to bits by brambles, it's not the end of the world...

Um - that puddle looks great fun. In a race, I'd be straight through. On a training run, I'd probably skirt round on the RHS....
Nov 2018
5:42pm, 30 Nov 2018
13,448 posts
  •  
mulbs
Part of me is looking at that puddle in the same way that I'd look at a fire walk!
Nov 2018
8:24pm, 30 Nov 2018
9,585 posts
  •  
Garfield
LOL mulbs...the more you get into them, the better you get.

About This Thread

Maintained by mulbs
Help Fetchies, I was looking at an event in Amersham in March next year (XNRG Amersham Ultra) but th...