running in mud instead of walking gingerly

7 watchers
Dec 2018
11:57am, 9 Dec 2018
252 posts
  •  
Muttley
Another vote for the Cheviots here. Sizing can be erratic and longevity is questionable, but for the money they're great. I use them on coastal path/sandy and muddy trail/towans and dunes, and the grip is excellent. Definitely a wet-weather mud shoe. Not much cushioning though.
Dec 2018
10:54am, 11 Dec 2018
13,454 posts
  •  
mulbs
Muttley et al., what would you use for a longer day out? I'm out for bloody hours when I do a 50k, let's just say I get my money's worth! Hard to get a picture of what percentage of the run is likley to be a mudfest and what percentage is likely to be kinder to wusses. A couple of years ago I Thames Path'd on a drizzly day and just the footfall of those who'd ran before me made long stretches slippy (so obviously I walked them, because I'm a wuss)
Dec 2018
9:41am, 20 Dec 2018
13,461 posts
  •  
mulbs
Hello mud lovers, I am chuffed beyond all reason. BeBop very kindly gifted me a pair of Saucony something-or-others that she hadn't got on with and today I found some mud. Claggy, gloopy mud and puddles and more mud. And it was great, I followed the advice here about just going through it and that and the shoes and a bit of confidence made such a difference to my normal experience. There was one stretch of grassy mud (or muddy grass - hard to say which there was more of) that was still a bit slip slidey and I did have a bit of a walk on that but even then I was happy enough. Thanks all, now my next question is what you do with muddy shoes - leave 'em to dry out and then give them a bit of a wallop so the dried mud falls off?
um
Dec 2018
9:46am, 20 Dec 2018
672 posts
  •  
um
Finish with a puddle or two so they are wet but clean?
But otherwise yes - let them dry (airing cupbord may be needed) and either bang/wallop them - or go out again and it will soon drop off.
NB trail shoes are meant to look muddy & disgusting vs the pristine white road or track shoes.
Dec 2018
9:51am, 20 Dec 2018
13,070 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Personally I sluice mine off in a bucket of water kept for the purpose by the back door.
Dec 2018
9:57am, 20 Dec 2018
26,748 posts
  •  
Hark the Herald Angels Synge ♪♫
Rinse under warm water, swill the muddy water out of the inside and scrub the outside with a potato brush. The main problem with keeping them looking new is that runners on the start line of trail runs look at me and assume I've never run off-road before. (Oh, and the cleaning out of the sink afterwards!)
Dec 2018
10:01am, 20 Dec 2018
44,475 posts
  •  
The Mighty Fleecy
It depends on the kind of mud, I find. Heavy clay needs to be rinsed off because otherwise it sets and you can’t put your shoes on! Our mud round here is quite sandy so I just let them dry. If they’re really wet and you don’t want to put wet shoes back on next time then take the insoles out and stuff them with newspaper. Replace the newspaper as needed.
Glad you’ve found the love of mud heart
Dec 2018
11:21am, 20 Dec 2018
37,453 posts
  •  
alpenrose
What Fleecy said, I don't often clean mine but definitely take the trainer liners out for drying (easy to clean them). I prefer to try and dry them naturally.
Dec 2018
11:29am, 20 Dec 2018
29,922 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Congratulations with your mud baptism! Born again! A whole new world opens!

As others have said, rinse them off (puddle, stream or hose / bucket), then leave to dry naturally, and outdoors preferably or well aired! I've seen people stuff them with paper to speed up drying too. Probably helps. :-) G
Dec 2018
11:33am, 20 Dec 2018
3,862 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Glad you are now loving mud mulbs (or on your way there)!

I never clean my trail shoes, I just leave them on the aga to dry if necessary.

About This Thread

Maintained by mulbs
Help Fetchies, I was looking at an event in Amersham in March next year (XNRG Amersham Ultra) but th...