running in mud instead of walking gingerly

7 watchers
Dec 2018
12:21pm, 4 Dec 2018
13,450 posts
  •  
mulbs
Oh my! I've just googled Hell Down South . . . gulp!
Dec 2018
12:26pm, 4 Dec 2018
51,695 posts
  •  
swittle
Delamere Forest sounds idyllic - and it is, for the most part...

However, in October next year, it hosts...

hellrunner.co.uk

Vive la diversité!
Dec 2018
9:20am, 5 Dec 2018
13,451 posts
  •  
mulbs
Hmmm I was struggling with the idea of a muddy trail - now I'm being asked to contemplate swimming in the stuff!!

Love Delamere Switt, the location of many a childhood walk. How are your Iron Men? Still acting as sentinels for mankind?
Dec 2018
9:52am, 5 Dec 2018
42,055 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Running in mud and through puddles is one of my favourite things :-)

Another fan of Inov-8s - Roclites and MudClaws mostly - but, as a recent Hoka convert (and seeing as you mention your Claytons, mulbs) I can recommend Speedgoats for proper mud and the Challenger ATRs for less mud/trail/road combination type stuff.
Dec 2018
11:14am, 5 Dec 2018
51,713 posts
  •  
swittle
Hello, mulbs. The Sandstone Trail events [10 & 17 miles] start & end in Delamere, as you probably know. Great fun, mixed terrain, not flat, & superb scenery.

When I checked last night, the Iron Men were watchful, as the tide was gently coming in. A couple are not doing so well - see pic:

Dec 2018
12:06pm, 5 Dec 2018
59 posts
  •  
Groundhog
Been ages since I did XC, but I have done quite a few trail marathons with some serious mud in them. BAck to just 5ish miles this weekend and knowing the hilly HAndy Cross course in the Thames Valley XC league I went for my cheapo More Mile Cheviot 3 shows. Reasonably light but very aggressive lugs make them very grippy in deep mud. They were perfect, even coping with slippy grass on a severe downhill camber.
Dec 2018
7:07pm, 5 Dec 2018
1,285 posts
  •  
beebop
Mulbs, what size shoes do you wear? I’ve got a pair of Saucony Periwhatsits kicking around somewhere, I think. I ran in them a couple of times but didn’t get on with them compared to my usual ones, so they’re doing nothing. Size 5, probably, but I can check when the cat moves,
Dec 2018
7:33am, 9 Dec 2018
13,452 posts
  •  
mulbs
So many lovely people in my corner. So glad to be a fetchie.

Swift, that iron man had a few too many scoops!

Beebop that's exciting, will check when back home.
Dec 2018
11:25am, 9 Dec 2018
51,850 posts
  •  
swittle
mulbs: there's another in a similar stance just down the beach from this one! It's probably the bolts attaching the Men to the metal piles on which they're mounted - no tide or weather's extreme enough to blow 600kg of cast iron over by itself! :-o
Dec 2018
11:53am, 9 Dec 2018
114 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
I've got a race next weekend, and the pictures posted on FB of the course yesterday make it look like there is going to be some rather sticky sections! With a week of rain forecast between now and then, I only see it getting worse.

Last year the course had a fair amount of cobbled roads / hard gravel tracks, so an aggressive shoe might not be ideal. I shall be going with my Hoka Evo Mafete, not the best in the very heavy mud, but a good all rounder I think. Plus over 100 miles I want the extra cushioning :D

About This Thread

Maintained by mulbs
Help Fetchies, I was looking at an event in Amersham in March next year (XNRG Amersham Ultra) but th...