RIP Steve Wright

4 watchers
14 Feb
9:28am, 14 Feb 2024
1,053 posts
  •  
Dibble
Sad news although I hadn't listened to him for some time. He and Mike Reid were a breath of fresh air when we our first local radio station Radio 210 started in the 70's.
14 Feb
9:38am, 14 Feb 2024
84,545 posts
  •  
Diogenes
[I can't quite work out if you were joking Treborstreet

The voice of Reservoir Dogs K-Billy Super Sounds of the Seventies Steven Wright is still very much alive.]
14 Feb
9:52am, 14 Feb 2024
49,392 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I didn't really like his afternoon show much. I didn't really get the "zany" format. But accept that he was an innovative and long serving presenter and clearly much loved by listeners and colleagues alike. Very young age to die nowadays, I wonder what the cause was. RIP.
14 Feb
11:16am, 14 Feb 2024
24,384 posts
  •  
Meglet
I had some suspicions that he hadn’t been well for a while, considering the number of weeks he was away, but that’s purely personal view with no evidence to back it up! He didn’t look the healthiest recently, I notice most of the photos used are older ones.
14 Feb
1:46pm, 14 Feb 2024
10,570 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I've just listened to a bit of Jeremy Vine's show and he also broke down in tears - which set me off too.

Someone on there said 'he never took a day off sick' and I thought - hang on when he was doing afternoons there were some times when he'd be off the show almost more often than he was on it. Like Meglet says above I'm sure it can't all have been leave.

I remember seeing him in London near the BBC once quite a few years ago now and thinking he didn't look either particularly healthy or like any of the pictures they've been using of him. In fact the person I was with had to convince me that it really was him - I did wonder at the time they took him off the afternoon show if doing a 5 day a week show was perhaps taking its toll on him as they clearly were happy to keep him on Radio 2 elsewhere and I believe he was due to be the main 'name' on the new Radio 2 off shoot station that they are hoping to launch.
14 Feb
8:02pm, 14 Feb 2024
230 posts
  •  
Treborstreet
Diogenes Certainly wouldn’t joke about this, but I can see how it may appear so now you mention it. Not intended that’s for sure.
14 Feb
10:36pm, 14 Feb 2024
24,385 posts
  •  
Meglet
Apparently even the afternoon shows he sometimes prerecorded.
19 Feb
6:39pm, 19 Feb 2024
39,683 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I listened to Liza Tarbuck doing a special Love Songs yesterday morning (Steve Wright's Sunday show has been keeping me company on my Sunday runs for a while). Though I wasn't a great fan, from the number of people who could remember precisely when and why they'd had a 'shout-out' from him it's clear that very many people really, really loved the show. Liza did a great job, clearly struggling at times not to break down completely but holding it together. I'd be perfectly happy if she got the job permanently.
27 Feb
6:27am, 27 Feb 2024
6,293 posts
  •  
jelly
I’ve been listening for years and I’ve heard all the presenters doing their shows. He really was a music fan. There are songs on my play list simply because I found them through him! All these stories that he died of a broken heart make me really sad.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by lammo
We were always a big radio family, Dad always had the radio on, and i loved Steve Wrights show from first hearing him on 210, our local station.

Followed him through R1 breakfast show and afternoons - his high point for me, and then into R2.

I've spent quite a lot of my working life driving around, and he's been with me all the way.

I/m unbelievably sad to hear this news.

RIP Steve and thanks for such a great ride.