Polarized training

91 watchers
J2R
Mar 2018
3:25pm, 28 Mar 2018
1,102 posts
  •  
J2R
You're right about that, NN. But it wasn't actually running, by itself, which pushed me into this state. I was quite tired from running training, then I had a week's full-on hard skiing, then the following week I did quite a bit of cross-country skiing, then at the weekend a fast half marathon. Legs still haven't got back to normal.
Mar 2018
4:01pm, 28 Mar 2018
2,736 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Sounds like you can look forward to a fair chunk of super compensation!
SPR
Mar 2018
4:10pm, 28 Mar 2018
25,802 posts
  •  
SPR
... provided you recover properly.
J2R
Mar 2018
5:39pm, 28 Mar 2018
1,103 posts
  •  
J2R
NN, SPR, yes, right. The last couple of years I've had an interesting example of what I take to be supercompensation, when I've been doing skiing. For a week or so afterwards, my running is poor because my legs feel dead, beaten up, and then the next week or so I find I've actually got faster, presumably because I've effectively been doing a load of leg strength work (I tend to ski quite hard all day, focusing on carving where you're resisting the G forces). But yes, I have to recover properly!
Mar 2018
4:30pm, 29 Mar 2018
1,861 posts
  •  
Canute
J2R and Chrisull,
I agree that the priority this week is recovery.

Chrisull, it is a puzzle as to why your quads suffered so much. Is there is something that is prompting you to tense your lower abdominal muscles more on one side producing an asymmetric tilt of your pelvis?

As I have remarked previously, when preparing for racing distances of HM or greater, I think that developing the ability to sustain eccentric contraction is the key thing. As mentioned previously, hopping/skipping is helpful. I also used to do about 2 sessions per month of downhill stride-outs, on a slope of approximately 1:15, preferably on a grass surface; typically 6 – 10 X 200 metres at a comfortably fast pace.
Mar 2018
10:58am, 30 Mar 2018
12,477 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Canute - yes, as you may recall I had an issue in my lower right abdomen just before the race. I have a 16 month old border collie who drags me everywhere. I am right handed, I tend to walk him so he applies pressure there, I'm beginning to think that (and not running) was the root cause of a slight/chronic strain and running just amplified it a little. If I let someone else walk him, or let him off lead, it tends to settle.

Will definitely reintroduce the hopping, do more skipping and I used to do loads of downhill running, will do more of that.
J2R
Apr 2018
5:27pm, 19 Apr 2018
1,178 posts
  •  
J2R
I think I'm going to make a slight change to my training for the next few months. I'm planning to run the easy runs not quite so easy. My first ventilatory threshold is probably around 138-140bpm, but I do most of my easy runs at below 130bpm, typically 120-125bpm. I'm thinking of running a bit faster, so that my HR is probably more like 135bpm, which will mean I'm doing something more like 7:15-7:30 mins/mile. The idea is to enable me to do a few more miles each week in the same.
J2R
Apr 2018
5:29pm, 19 Apr 2018
1,179 posts
  •  
J2R
Sorry, premature send there...

to enable me to do a few more miles each week in the same time. I would still be doing the vast majority of my miles 'easy', and in fact would stick with the slower pace for recovery runs. Can anyone see a problem with this plan?
Apr 2018
9:53pm, 19 Apr 2018
1,881 posts
  •  
Canute
The major issue is assessing how well you are recovering.

I think that for many people, running in the vicinity of VT1 is not very stressful, and therefore a substantial amount of running at that pace is OK. Nonetheless, as you imply, when you need to recover after a preceding intense or long sessions, it is probably best to to be well below VT1
J2R
Apr 2018
10:26pm, 19 Apr 2018
1,181 posts
  •  
J2R
Yes, that's the plan, Canute - speed up my normal easy days a little, while making sure to go very easy on the days after races or intense sessions.

About This Thread

Maintained by Canute
Polarised training is a form of training that places emphasis on the two extremes of intensity. There is a large amount of low intensity training (comfortably below lactate threshold) and an appreciable minority of high intensity training (above LT).

Polarised training does also include some training near lactate threshold, but the amount of threshold training is modest, in contrast to the relatively high proportion of threshold running that is popular among some recreational runners.

Polarised training is not new. It has been used for many years by many elites and some recreational runners. However, it has attracted great interest in recent years for two reasons.

First, detailed reviews of the training of many elite endurance athletes confirms that they employ a polarised approach (typically 80% low intensity, 10% threshold and 10% high intensity. )

Secondly, several scientific studies have demonstrated that for well trained athletes who have reached a plateau of performance, polarised training produces greater gains in fitness and performance, than other forms of training such as threshold training on the one hand, or high volume, low intensity training on the other.

Much of the this evidence was reviewed by Stephen Seiler in a lecture delivered in Paris in 2013 .
vimeo.com

In case you cannot access that lecture by Seiler in 2013, here is a link to his more recent TED talk.

ted.com
This has less technical detail than his 2013 talk, but is nonetheless a very good introduction to the topic. It should be noted that from the historical perspective, Seiler shows a US bias.

Here is another useful video by Stephen Seiler in which he discusses the question of the optimum intensity and duration of low intensity sessions. Although the answer ‘depends on circumstances’ he proposes that a low intensity session should be long enough to reach the point where there are detectable indications of rising stress (either the beginning of upwards drift of HR or increased in perceived effort). If longer than this, there is increasing risk of damaging effects. A session shorter than this might not be enough to produce enough stress to achieve a useful training effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXc474Hu5U

The coach who probably deserves the greatest credit for emphasis on the value of low intensity training was Arthur Lydiard, who coached some of the great New Zealanders in the 1960's and Scandinavians in the 1970’s. One of his catch-phrases was 'train, don't strain'. However Lydiard never made it really clear what he meant by ‘quarter effort’. I have discussed Lydiard’s ideas on several occasions on my Wordpress blog. For example: canute1.wordpress.com