Piece of String "fun run"

34 watchers
Nov 2012
6:35pm, 24 Nov 2012
2 posts
  •  
Oranj
About 75 miles. They've just been given another loop of about 26 miles apparently. Madness
Nov 2012
7:17pm, 24 Nov 2012
6,348 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
I'm sure they'll appreciate it. :-o

(Also, I'm now very thankful I didn't get chosen. ;-))
Nov 2012
11:08am, 25 Nov 2012
1,068 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Any news?
Nov 2012
11:40am, 25 Nov 2012
28,099 posts
  •  
Foxy
it's over just 2 finishers.
Nov 2012
3:43pm, 25 Nov 2012
6,351 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
How far did they run?
Nov 2012
3:46pm, 25 Nov 2012
5,658 posts
  •  
Binks
What a weekend. Brutal weather for what was already going to be a massively tough race. We had to change things around due to the weather and some of the "easy" loops we planned near the river were replaced with boggy, mist, dark death loops. It actually wasn't the intention to make it that hard.

Awesome respect for all 10 runners who had the balls to take on such a challenge and what delighted
me most was the attitude of all 10. We had 10 of the toughest runners in the land and beyond and despite the suffering and the conditions they stayed smiling, didn't moan or complain and went about it with the fantastic dignity and bloody mindedness that I'd come to expect from such characters.

Huge thank you to everyone who came along to help too, making food, manning checkpoints, driving to and fro. There are too many names to mention right now but I will be doing this very soon. You know who you are and it could not have happened without you.

Thank you James Elson for taking on this pipe dream of mine. Your level of commitment, organisation and professionalism is unrivaled in the ultra world and doing this along with the Winter 100 race as well was amazing.

I think we have proved that the Piece of String race works as a concept. There are many things we would do differently the next time, we learned a huge amount. This was always going to be an experimental race and I again thank the 10 brave souls who gave themselves over for this bizarre experiment.

Lengthy blog to follow of course but I would just like to call out the amazing acheivement of the first two ever finishers of the Piece of String race.

Wouter Hemelinck - You truly are a running animal. Running fast through that bog while reading a map was phenomenal. It was a pleasure to have you as part of the race and even more so to see you finish.

Sam Robson - Battled through the bog and sleep deprivation to get there in the end. Your suprised and relieve response when I turned up at Bury Downs to say that you had finished is what I've been dreaming of for a year that I've had this idea in my head. That was a wonderful moment.

In fitting with the ideals of the race we are not going to publish official finishing times, rankings or distances. All that we are going to say is that in the inaugural Piece of String race 2012 there were 10 starters and 2 finishers.

Until next time.....
Nov 2012
3:47pm, 25 Nov 2012
412 posts
  •  
Avon
Well done to everyone who took part.
Nov 2012
3:51pm, 25 Nov 2012
5,659 posts
  •  
Binks
Well done too all the W100 runners. Stood at the Ridgeway at the 82 mile point was pretty grim. Didn't fancy being out in that wind and rain for 24+ hours like most of you were. Well done Ali, Ogee and all others who I probably saw this weekend.
Nov 2012
4:03pm, 25 Nov 2012
19,238 posts
  •  
ogee
Astounding show of bravery by all the "stringers" it was hard enough work when we had a definite finish line in the W100 but to have to keep going out in those conditions when you never knew how far you had to run was, quite frankly Phenomenal!
Nov 2012
4:07pm, 25 Nov 2012
2,073 posts
  •  
Duchess
I'm not sure what's more disturbing... the mind that can conceive of such a race, or the minds of those who take part in it. ;-) But I firmly approve of the existence of all of them. Congratulations to everyone concerned.

About This Thread

Maintained by Foxy
What a fascinating idea an event without a known time limit or known distance

http://www.centuri...