parkrun thread

2 lurkers | 491 watchers
um
May 2021
10:42am, 10 May 2021
4,670 posts
  •  
um
Both of those pragmatic and sensible things to do Pothunter - whether council or parkrun instigated.
May 2021
1:53pm, 10 May 2021
173 posts
  •  
option_Richard
google.com

Reminder that they contacted landowners on 27th April
May 2021
1:54pm, 10 May 2021
174 posts
  •  
option_Richard
google.com

From The Telegraph
"Parkrun's future in doubt as venues hesitate over go-ahead for runs to return
Exclusive: Out of 589 venues which previously hosted weekly 5km timed event, only 110 landowners have granted permission to return on June 5"

Reminder that they contacted landowners on 27th April
May 2021
1:56pm, 10 May 2021
20,700 posts
  •  
DeeGee
8 working days ago.
May 2021
2:14pm, 10 May 2021
5,671 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
I’m not sure how they can claim “exclusive” for information that was put on Facebook on Thursday.
May 2021
2:16pm, 10 May 2021
14,261 posts
  •  
larkim
It's not hugely inflammatory though, and (whilst omitting the bit about only writing to them 8 days ago) the responses so far do seem to have demonstrated some examples of what might be characterised as excessive caution.

I'm fully expecting an announcement pretty soon that says they'll be moving the proposed start date until 26th June with some fine words about how they've listened to feedback and therefore (even though they didn't have to) have positioned the start as being after the 21st June date, at which time they can see no good reason why outdoor activities which were allowable before the pandemic struck to be considered inherently unsafe with parkrun's covid framework fully deployed until further notice.
May 2021
2:40pm, 10 May 2021
175 posts
  •  
option_Richard
Or do the responses to date largely match up with smaller councils & 'easier' events?

There's quite a few Town councils on the list, where other responsibilities are dealt with by County councils.
May 2021
2:45pm, 10 May 2021
926 posts
  •  
BK brighter days ahead
I wouldn’t be surprised if the event local to me didn’t return until much later. Not because of Covid, over cautious landowner but because it had outgrown the park and if, as has been suggested, one of the neighbouring events will not return for sometime there is greater potential for huge numbers.

To some extent the popularity of parkrun may be a more significant factor here than the pandemic.
SPR
May 2021
2:47pm, 10 May 2021
34,131 posts
  •  
SPR
Council's normally approve a certain number for events don't they, not just as many as turn up? That makes the condition that pothunter stated make sense. Obviously as seen, parkrun are opposed to limits which would need to be done by pre registering.
May 2021
2:49pm, 10 May 2021
14,263 posts
  •  
larkim
I'd bet "purdah" is one of the biggest reasons for current response levels. Having encountered it professionally, it really does seem to give a lot of local authority officers an excuse to defer decision making under the guise of something political.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.