parkrun thread

488 watchers
May 2021
8:06am, 8 May 2021
678 posts
  •  
njosmith
At the moment parkrun collects your details via QR code and passes them onto the health department if required. I suspect they will have to move to the govt check in app eventually which will I assume means less work for parkrun to maintain. We will have to agree to disagree on the usefulness. I don't think you get how the system works. It isnt about parkrun and parks, it is about having a comprehensive system so know matter where people go the majority of contacts can be traced. In a low prevalence environment it works incredibly well.
May 2021
8:37am, 8 May 2021
934 posts
  •  
Spideog
I know how the system is intended to work, I just don't think that is how its being used. The system in Australia seems to be that once a non quarantine positive result is found then that city gets shut down for 3 days, doesn't seem that they are actually contacting people based on where they have been in that scenario.

Does the QR codes that parkrun are using actually mean that parkrun itself is collecting the personal details for spectators via a separate website? Curious as the scanning of a QR code itself is not actually doing anything to allow contact tracing or passing of information backwards from the person who scanned to the person who printed the QR code out. Do you know what system they are actually using to collect data if that is what they are doing?
May 2021
8:46am, 8 May 2021
935 posts
  •  
Spideog
OK, so it seems that the data is collected by parkrun, but just consists of a phone number, which they will probably already have, and an email and there is no requirement for everyone to register as you just need to give a phone number and how many people you are with.

parkrun.com.au

So other than the phone number, which parkrun already have in most cases as people get results texts, it's not really anything new. It also doesn't collect more data than parkrun already have assuming around a 90% of runners having a barcode scanned at the finish and not being called Mickey Mouse as you would only need to register one person per family/ car of people arriving at the park.

Can understand why parkrun resisted that as their system already does what was being asked.
May 2021
9:24am, 8 May 2021
3,507 posts
  •  
Bob!
Spideog,
njo advised that the QR code system was for supporters and non participants.

Therefore not data parkrun already has.
May 2021
9:29am, 8 May 2021
936 posts
  •  
Spideog
But there is no requirement for you to register each person in your group, just the group size. Most spectator's at parkruns will have arrived with a parkrunner so there would be no reason to register them as the parkrunners details are already collected.
May 2021
1:14pm, 8 May 2021
679 posts
  •  
njosmith
"I know how the system is intended to work, I just don't think that is how its being used.”

I'll say it again and then I am out of this conversation as it has got off topic. Contact tracing is absolutely a thing here. In the most recent outbreak in Qld we had a total of 23 cases and over 5,000 contacts were traced by the public health units and tested. You can 'think' it isn't being used all you like. The lockdowns support contact tracing by giving time to contact tracers to get the contacts into quarantine and therefore if someone does test positive they have fewer recent contacts.
May 2021
2:25pm, 8 May 2021
937 posts
  •  
Spideog
Fantastic, and that is the bit which isn't getting reported in the media over here.

Are any additional positive cases detected from those contacts as that would be very useful information regarding where transmission actually occurs for other countries seeing as there isn't community cases in the wild in Australia.

If all the additional transmission is in the home and none occurring via gyms and sports then the rest of the world can use that data to help open themselves up... Such as with parkruns.
May 2021
8:14pm, 8 May 2021
2 posts
  •  
BexB
Thanks for the replies to my question regarding parkrun not restarting - I feel a bit better now!
May 2021
10:45pm, 8 May 2021
11,989 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I’ve got a full roster for Juniors tomorrow, yay!
May 2021
11:17pm, 8 May 2021
46,891 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's good

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com