New to the running world!

1 watcher
Jul 2015
1:26pm, 21 Jul 2015
First-time poster!!
  •  
StueyOfficial
Hello

I am new to the running world. I decided to take part in Mudnificent 7 which is taking place on 1 August but then realised I haven't actually done any running before. To try and do some last minute prep I've downloaded the Coach to 5K app! I've only done 2 days but really enjoying it so far. This is all new to me though so any tips on training and general fitness would be very much appreciated.
Jul 2015
1:33pm, 21 Jul 2015
16,206 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Welcome to Fetch Stuey :-)

The C25K is great - it's a nice way to build up to 5k without doing too much too soon. Not quite sure how that translates into running 7k in mud in 10 days time, but it's a good start :-)
Jul 2015
2:12pm, 21 Jul 2015
10,556 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Welcome Stuey :-)

Do it, but done overdo it. If it hurts, stop. If it really hurts, rest it. If it's just uncomfortable keep going, training often feels like that ;-)
Jul 2015
2:22pm, 21 Jul 2015
7 posts
  •  
gooders_gold
Hi there,

Everyone is new at some point and it's good to take a plunge and work out were you're at. Mud runs are good fun and tend not to be done at such a pace as road races so just enjoy it and take on the scenery and get a bit of banter on.

As it's an obstacle race there's lots of breaks in between running and everyone helps each other out over tricky obstacles. There's a huge mud run community out there doing them every week with a huge range of ability and fitness.

Enjoy!
Jul 2015
3:09pm, 21 Jul 2015
16,207 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Nice post GG - welcome to FE :-)

(And you Dvorak, but without the second bit)
Jul 2015
3:12pm, 21 Jul 2015
26,071 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Weclome to Fetch

am guessing that 1 Aug may be a tad close for any training to make that much difference - look at that day as a starting point and build from there.

oh and enjoy
Jul 2015
3:20pm, 21 Jul 2015
2 posts
  •  
StueyOfficial
Thanks everyone! It's great to hear that the mud event is broken up - I'm am going to this mainly for the 'experience' so won't be too concerned about time penalties. I'm hoping it's the start of a whole new world for me.

With the Couch 2 5K - I've read that you should only do this three times a week. So far I've done it two days in a row and feel absolutely fine. Having a rest tonight so will try doing two days training and one day off. If it starts to hurt I'll stop..

Thanks for the advice :)
Jul 2015
3:26pm, 21 Jul 2015
16,208 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
As well as protecting your body from doing too much too soon, the restriction to 3 times a week also helps maintain your enthusiasm. Just be careful that you don't get burned out - there's plenty of time to do *more* running, but for now it's as much about getting a habit ingrained in you.
Jul 2015
3:50pm, 21 Jul 2015
20,468 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Welcome to Fetch Stuey (and to you to gg) and to the world of running. Enjoy it
Jul 2015
4:01pm, 21 Jul 2015
24,692 posts
  •  
idio
Welcome :)

If you're a middle to back runner you'll have plenty of time to rest as their will be bottle necks at some of the obstacles and narrow parts of the courses and obstacle course races are very friendly with competitors/marshals always willing to help each other at the obstacles.

Have fun :)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello

I am new to the running world. I decided to take part in Mudnificent 7 which is taking plac...