My First Tri - Training Help!

28 watchers
Sep 2011
10:35pm, 1 Sep 2011
16,045 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
You guys have funny tri lengths! 300m swim, 14 mile (25km?) bike and 5km run? Normally it's 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run?

Um, no gloves, no socks etc. for faster transition (in fact, if you don't cycle with clip in pedals, then wear running shoes for bike and that saves you 20s in T2!) Um, don't fall off your bike coming into transition like I did. Errr, remember helmet on in T1 first and last off in T2. Um, don't get on bike before line out of T1 and get off before line into T2.

Oh, and enjoy it! Tis muchly fun Excitabubble! :-)G
Sep 2011
10:43pm, 1 Sep 2011
2,164 posts
  •  
Excitabubble
Thank you HGrrrr, this is a baby tri, that's supposed to be quite nice and a great one for first timers, so that's why we took on this challenge.

I want to get round and complete in a good time, but that's not too important, as long as I can complete each section faster than on a training day ;-)

I'll let you know how I get on, I'm quite excited about it :-)
Sep 2011
10:46pm, 1 Sep 2011
16,048 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I wasn't saying it was too small btw EB, - that bike is *longer* than the Sprint I did, certainly much longer than a Novice tri. Yeah, keep us posted. But most of all, enjoy it. It's so different to running races - more like it's a flippin Knockout, so many different things going on at same time. And it flies by, as you're not just plodding round. Get someone to film/photo you too, cos running around half naked and getting undressed in car parks is just plain funny! :-)G
Sep 2011
10:54pm, 1 Sep 2011
1,575 posts
  •  
Alex Bampton
Don't wear your running shoes to the swimming pool unless you planes on running barefoot :L
Sep 2011
9:08am, 2 Sep 2011
16,052 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That's a good one Alex - but unless you want to walk around barefoot to the pool, from having racked up in transition, make sure you have a *2nd pair of shoes* to doodle about in. And trackies that you can leave in pool changing or with a mate too. I was walking around in only a tri suit for about 20 mins before, in a car park. Eeep! :-)G
Sep 2011
9:16am, 2 Sep 2011
1,085 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Sounds like you're well prepared Excitabubble. I found it helpful to visualise in my mind each section of the race and what I was going to do as it helped me overcome my swim nerves. But most of all, enjoy it!
Sep 2011
9:57am, 2 Sep 2011
15 posts
  •  
minutehunter
Don't pin the number on your wetsuit (not good for the material, howeverit does make you stand out from the crowd)! Also if you do it, you need to take it off in T1 and put it on your T-Shirt/Tri Suit otherwise the wee man checking the bike exit will pull you up for it. Guilty on both charges.
Sep 2011
7:22pm, 2 Sep 2011
2,167 posts
  •  
Excitabubble
Thank you guys :-)

I'm swimming in my cossy, as it's a pool and this should be fine, I'll take my flip flops too :-) I'll be able to pull my cycling shorts up over and put my pink top on for the bike and I'll be wearing my running shoes, as my peddles are nothing fancy, which helps when falling off :-p then I'll have my Fetch Top for the run and everything should be fine, so I'll be representing the club out there too :-)

I'm exhausted just thinking about it all :-o
Sep 2011
10:47pm, 2 Sep 2011
1,188 posts
  •  
Paul Snell
putting dry clothes on a wet body is very hard - I suggest that you towel down before dressing - it will add a few seconds but it really is impossible to put on a top when you are wet.
Sep 2011
8:51pm, 3 Sep 2011
2,172 posts
  •  
Excitabubble
Thank you PS, yes, I do intend to take a towel and dry as much as possible. I'm getting excited about it all now and hope it's a dry day and I'm sure it will be fun.

I'll let you know how it goes :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by rparker
I am racing in my first Tri in July, got conned into it by someone in work! The only problem is I h...