My First Tri - Training Help!

28 watchers
May 2011
10:20pm, 8 May 2011
3,658 posts
  •  
flip
well done wtf . had to miss my 2nd tri today due to dodgy guts . I could have made it but I doubt anyone would have wanted to be in tho pool with me :-o . very annoying not to mention a waste of 47 quid .
May 2011
7:56am, 9 May 2011
1,250 posts
  •  
Wazelle the Fish
Bad luck flip. :(
May 2011
9:05am, 9 May 2011
14,990 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry to hear that flip. Hope you're feeling better now. Tri is bliddy expensive though, isn't it?
May 2011
9:08am, 9 May 2011
818 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Congratulations Wazelle! A great start in a tough first triathlon. Darlo was a particularly expensive one, but it was nice to have the freedom of closed roads.
May 2011
9:10am, 9 May 2011
13,301 posts
  •  
macca53
Bad luck Flip, and yes Darlo is particularly expensive. Seemed very well organised though - and I will complete a triathlon this year!
May 2011
10:03am, 9 May 2011
3,666 posts
  •  
flip
guts still a little delicate today . hopefully I can run later on tho . a fiver of that tri entry was a donation to charity but yep it twas expensive but I do appreciate that these things are expensive to organise. the rotary club are not out to make money . ill probably enter hebburn now and finally get around to entering a tri ive had my eye on on my birthday in september . with my big ultra's looming fast I need to run a bit more but I think next year I will plan a lot more especially the ones with sea swims . I really love the look of the Arran Tri september is already full .
May 2011
10:12am, 9 May 2011
596 posts
  •  
Durham Dawdler
The main reason for the high cost yesterday was because the roads were closed, although not everyone obeyed the closures as I discovered after speeding round a right hand bend to find a car coming towards me. The driver seemed a bit shocked to hear me politely reminding him that the "F**king roads are closed you bloody moron" as I was going in excess of 20 mph at that point and didn't have enough time to react fully.

I know from orgainising events that road closures cost an absolute fortune. it was a great event though :-)
May 2011
11:12am, 9 May 2011
9,028 posts
  •  
DeeGee
The cost of the events is the reason that I've switched back to just running this year. I've been priced out of tri. Sprint events without road closures and starting in pools are costing in excess of fifty quid. I'm sorry, but I can't see what part of that isn't just pure profit - especially when large half marathons with road closures cost half of that.
May 2011
9:02pm, 9 May 2011
23,773 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Well done WTF and Maccers (Why only 2 disciplines ;) )
Sep 2011
10:27pm, 1 Sep 2011
2,162 posts
  •  
Excitabubble
Hello :-)

Are there any last minute hints and tips that can be offered for my first Tri. It's finally here, the Newbury Tri on Sunday :-)

We've been to look at the pool, boy is it long 75 mtr, so a 4 length swim, I should be ok. We cycled the 14 mile bike route on Monday, so I'm prepared for that, only one steep hill really and a 5k run :-o well we know me and my running, so I thought I'd start it slow and see how my legs are before I give it my all.

Oh and my start time is 8.47 am, I am racing Corona, how funny :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by rparker
I am racing in my first Tri in July, got conned into it by someone in work! The only problem is I h...