My First Tri - Training Help!

28 watchers
Feb 2011
4:34pm, 3 Feb 2011
2 posts
  •  
rparker
I am racing in my first Tri in July, got conned into it by someone in work! The only problem is I have no idea how much i should train, what type of training, even what kit to buy.

At the moment I am training for a half marathon in march and also swim a couple of times a week in the morning.

If anyone can help me, any help will be appreciated.
Feb 2011
4:38pm, 3 Feb 2011
13,179 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Me too. May. I'm just going to bike a bit and swim a bit. I already run a bit.

Hi rparker, by the way, and welcome to Fetch! :-)G
Feb 2011
4:39pm, 3 Feb 2011
13,180 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Kit. Not getting a full tri suit, just tri shorts (apparently shorts that you can swim, bike and run in). Borrowing a bike. Err, that's it! :-)G
Feb 2011
4:43pm, 3 Feb 2011
3 posts
  •  
rparker
I think I'm going to buy a bike, a useful tool in the future! Was thinking tri suit but they are not exactly flatering!

HappyG(rrr), which tri are you doing?
Feb 2011
4:43pm, 3 Feb 2011
312 posts
  •  
Durham Dawdler
You don't need a full tri suit (although you can get them for £30 from Start fitness) but one thing to think off is how hard it is to out on a dry top when you are wet.

Training wise, what distance is your tri? if you are training for a HM, then your running will be fine for the tri, just add a bit of speedwork in after your race. Do you have a local tri club that you could go along to sessions with? you will find that they will be friendly and welcoming.

Oh, and by the way, this won't be your only tri!
Feb 2011
4:46pm, 3 Feb 2011
13,181 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm only doing a baby one (Sprint) it is Midlothian Sprint Tri, in Dalkeith, here near Edinburgh. Looking forward to it. And yes, this WILL be my only tri. I'm only doing it so that folk who say, "So, you've done a marathon, but have you done a triathlon yet?" And I can say, "Yeah, I have, piece of p*!" Really! :-)G
Feb 2011
4:46pm, 3 Feb 2011
13,182 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Which one are you doing rparker? There is a thread called "triathlon tips for those who don't know" or something. I believe it is good! But don't go near the "Smell of 220" thread! ;-) :-)G
Feb 2011
4:47pm, 3 Feb 2011
13,183 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=18301 "Basic triathlon questions..."
Feb 2011
4:47pm, 3 Feb 2011
313 posts
  •  
Durham Dawdler
that's what I said happy, now I'm a marathon running triathlete, not a marathon runner who did a triathlon! You will love it and want more!!
Feb 2011
4:54pm, 3 Feb 2011
4 posts
  •  
rparker
I'm doing the sprint at the London tri. Already do some speedwork with the running club and, helpfully, every 6th week is a 5km time trial.

About This Thread

Maintained by rparker
I am racing in my first Tri in July, got conned into it by someone in work! The only problem is I h...