The benefits of joining a running/triathlon club.

8 watchers
Jun 2021
12:31pm, 17 Jun 2021
319 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
I ran with BRAT for a few months since Covid. They do intervals at the UoB track on Tues/Thurs, ask to join the strava group "BRAT Rowheath Track Group" and you will see their sessions.

The fastest runners gravitated to a middle distance group generally doing shorter work off long rests, and the rest were doing slightly longer reps with another coach at the same time.

There were still some quick runners in the latter group (I tried both) but it covered all standards including newbies, so you shouldn't have to feel you needed to work your way up to join in.

You have to book to join their sessions using ClubSpark, can pay by the session or set up monthly DD (to cover track fees)
Jun 2021
12:50pm, 17 Jun 2021
198 posts
  •  
gambrinus
Any good clubs in Cardiff? Mostly social but also looking to get a bit quicker as there is no way on earth I'm going to be doing intervals on my own.
Jun 2021
12:58pm, 17 Jun 2021
6,847 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Gambrinus. I am a member of San Domenico, we do speed-focussed sessions on Tuesday at 19:00. The next one will be a 2 Mile Time Trial around the lake and wild gardens.
Tonight (Thursday 17th) we are meeting at the new bridge into Bute Park on North Rd from 18:45 to do a 4 Mile handicap race on the parkrun course (plus an extra loop of it). If you fancy that you are welcome, you just need to give us a reasonable estimate of how fast you can run 4 miles or 5K.
Jun 2021
1:01pm, 17 Jun 2021
10,578 posts
  •  
lammo
D not my neck of the woods i'm afraid, good luck with the search, let me know if you move further south :-)
Jun 2021
8:00pm, 17 Jun 2021
199 posts
  •  
gambrinus
Cheers TS, I'll pop along next week (events took over a bit today).

I used to get round 5km on a good day in about 24:xx minutes, when I was doing parkrun fairly regularly.

I imagine it's more like 26-27 these days. Have only got slower and even fatter this last year.

Do I need to book or just turn up?
Jun 2021
8:15pm, 17 Jun 2021
2,468 posts
  •  
Groundhog
I guess what you get offered depends on the club and the enthusiasm of the coaches and volunteers. We have 4 social runs, 1 of which is 90 mins, and also 2 interval sessions and a tempo run. That's more than any other club locally, but the larger ones do have a range of sessions on offer.
So both social and structured training are available as well as that source of advice and support.
Jun 2021
8:31pm, 17 Jun 2021
6,848 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Gambrinus. At the moment yes, the booking on the pinned tweet on the Twitter page is just to conform with Covid guidelines on numbers and having a register of attendees.
twitter.com
Apr 2022
5:42pm, 15 Apr 2022
447 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Can you contact the clubs and see what sessions are available?

I'm in a running club but it's not a competitive one. I tend to run better with friends so joining the club was great for me to meet people that live nearby I can arrange to run with. They do have some coached training sessions but I can't get to many . I also joined the local Tri club the reason j joined there was to access the swim training. They do weekly run sessions some weeks track, some weeks hills. For me it's been more about the people though

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Sell the benefits of joining a club here!