Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Long Runs

18 watchers
Feb 2019
12:29pm, 27 Feb 2019
2 posts
JogWalker
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of moving up from a regular 5K runner to try a half marathon later in the year. Just starting on a training regime for this and so new to a 'long run'. The article says "A minute slower than marathon pace is plenty fast enough" - so how do I calculate what my marathon pace might be? An a minute slower than what - a minute per mile?

Thanks in advance.
Feb 2019
12:34pm, 27 Feb 2019
6823 posts
larkim
Easiest way to approximate is to use the Fetch standards - read across from your current 5k pace and that will give an estimated marathon time, and you can calculate your MP+1 minute from there. Err on the side of slowness though - in recognition of the fact that the fetch standards are a little optimistic for marathons, and that slower is better than faster for long running (generally).

So for example, 25m30 for 5k translates to 4h00m00 - which is 9m10s marathon pace. So MP+1minue would be 10m10s, but somewhere in the region of 10m30-11m00 per mile would be perfectly sensible long run paces.

Fetch race standards - fetcheveryone.com/race-standards.php
Mar 2019
8:28am, 5 Mar 2019
3 posts
JogWalker
Many thanks @larkim
20 Jan
9:50pm, 20 Jan 2020
77 posts
smallclanger
Thanks for the advice!
I’m just starting in the world of longer runs after a long time ago n it’s made me think a bit today when I headed out

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
There's some long run advice in this week's podcast (Episode 5, out now) - but we thought ...