ITB? I think?

5 watchers
Nov 2011
9:10am, 2 Nov 2011
9,512 posts
  •  
RuthB2
So, I’ve acquired a niggle, and was hoping for some advice. It starts as a dull ache on the outside of my right knee, about 4 or so miles into a run and spreads down my leg. It feels muscular rather than joints wise, and then after I’ve run the leg is quite stiff in the same place. It’s not painful, but quite awkward and jars when I run at its worst.

Would a massage help? Or any types of stretches? Is this my ITB or something else?
Nov 2011
9:51am, 2 Nov 2011
5,308 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
A trip to the sports injury chap is probably a good place to start. Otherwise, do you have a foam roller? If so, do some rolling out of the IT band and see if that helps.
Nov 2011
9:58am, 2 Nov 2011
9,514 posts
  •  
RuthB2
what exactly does one do with a foam roller? I've only ever used something similar to paint the walls....
Nov 2011
10:22am, 2 Nov 2011
1,981 posts
  •  
Lalli
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK5oPadWud8
this explains it. I'm considering getting one as my hip's a bit niggly at the moment and I think that's upper end of my ITB. You lean on it and roll over it. I've been using one of these too - they're harsh but good: the-stick.co.uk I've got the Travel stick. Works well for me - especially on calves and hamstrings. :-)
Nov 2011
10:22am, 2 Nov 2011
5,310 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
You lean on it and roll it over various bits of your body - IT band, hamstrings, quads, calves, glutes. It helps get rid of knots and tightness in the muscles if you do it regularly.
Nov 2011
10:34am, 2 Nov 2011
11,653 posts
  •  
hellen
when I had ITB it didnt hurt afterwards. Just hurt a lot whilst I was running, too much to run through
there may be diff degrees of it though

It could be a knee mistracking thing, if poss best to see someone but in the meantime foam rollering (or tennis ball but it bit tricky on that)
Nov 2011
10:38am, 2 Nov 2011
13,412 posts
  •  
Stumpy
pain spreads downwards from the knee? i thought the ITB went from knee up to hip? (well, top of tibia up to hip, but that is sort of the knee)

how far down does it go?

ps a foam roller is well worth getting anyway.
Nov 2011
10:46am, 2 Nov 2011
10,364 posts
  •  
halfpint
I'm with Stumpy. The ITB runs from hip to knee I wouldn't have thought the pain would go down from the knee. Like hellen mine mostly hurt while running and I couldn't run through it. It did niggle going down stairs though.

Hope you get fixed soon :)
Nov 2011
10:50am, 2 Nov 2011
9,515 posts
  •  
RuthB2
Hmm, so far I can run through it, it's uncomfortable rtaher than a stabbing pain.

I'll have a look at rollers anyway, thanks guys, and am looking into a sports massage with a physio guy to have a chat.

Also have realised it's been quite some time since I bought new running shoes. I really should use the mileage tracker for them on here!
Nov 2011
12:08pm, 2 Nov 2011
10,512 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
The ITB runs from the hip to the knee. In anatomical terms it is called the fascia lata, there is no anatomical ITB as such.
Pain is typically in or around the knee, but can often be up towards the hip.
ITB pain is worse when running downhill.
I have read of people getting tightness of the ITB/fascia lata that causes a little bit of impingement of the common peroneal nerve which would produce aching lower down the leg.

( No expert, just my own experience :))

About This Thread

Maintained by RuthB2
So, I’ve acquired a niggle, and was hoping for some advice. It starts as a dull ache on the outsid...