Is it possible to have ITB issues on both sides?

3 watchers
Mar 2012
7:25am, 19 Mar 2012
11,643 posts
  •  
halfpint
jon- only hurts when running. Will ache a bit for rest of day but can walk, cycle, swim..... just not run! I can't afford physio but have tried to continue with stretches etc as suggested by 1 of 3 original physios. She suggested core stuff as well but I never remember. CT - you make a good point about wanting change. When it first started I started biking and it was the start of a love affair. I really enjoy swimming and cycling and I think it's pushed running down the list of things I like to do.
Mar 2012
2:37pm, 19 Mar 2012
89 posts
  •  
Fitz
Late in replying and CBA to read through all the replies but here's my twopennorth:

ITB both sides? Yes, very possible! I had it last year.

I lost most of last summer to it but have not had a recurrence in six months (since when I have done two maras, currently doing 30-35 mile weeks in mara training again).

What worked for me: Physio. Custom insoles from Footfactor. Foam roller + ITB stretch exercises (loads on youtube). Mueller ITB strap (Amazon).
What didn't work for me: Kinesio tape. Off the shelf replacement insoles.

My physio also put me on a slo-mo gait analysis machine and identified that ITB could have been caused by weakness in the hips / glutes so also gave me adductor strength exercises and suggested some changes to running style.
Mar 2012
7:04pm, 19 Mar 2012
4,374 posts
  •  
jonp
Hey halfpint, yeah does sound like ITBS. Do you want to run, or are you happy with bike and swim? If so, have you tried looking at the way you run to make changes?
Mar 2012
7:05pm, 19 Mar 2012
4,375 posts
  •  
jonp
If so=if you want to restar running
Mar 2012
7:07pm, 19 Mar 2012
4,376 posts
  •  
jonp
CT, thanks for the comments, I agree.
Mar 2012
8:18pm, 19 Mar 2012
11,649 posts
  •  
halfpint
I do want to run but have let the biking etc take over for the past couple of years. I haven't really thought about how I run but am open to suggestions. One physio identified a problem with my alignment and I assumed once it was fixed the problem would go away but it never really has :( Will try and be more aware of the shorter stride, higher cadence suggestions on next run and see how I get on :)
Mar 2012
9:44am, 25 Mar 2012
11,688 posts
  •  
halfpint
Fridays run was successful. ITB started niggling on warm up but tried to think about shorter strides etc and it didn't get worse. Then did a long hill session and it was fine throughout. It's weird but on tough hill or speed session it's often fine but if I try to bimble along it hurts.
Mar 2012
9:25am, 27 Mar 2012
4,383 posts
  •  
jonp
Often the case halfpint that running faster doesn't bring the ITBS on but slow running does. It is most likely because you are spending a shorter time in contact with the ground when you run faster. When you run slow, make sure you still keep your cadence (stride rate) high; one way to do it is to focus on keep lifting your ankles upwards from the ground, and of course don't stride the leg out in front of you.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by halfpint
Well is it? Or am I a freak of nature.

If I get injured this often through running should I sto...