Gloves for a beginner

1 watcher
Jan 2017
1:32pm, 20 Jan 2017
2 posts
  •  
/skn
Hi guys, I'm only 4 miles (over 3 days) into my jogging/walking adventures and I'm pretty toasty when I'm wobbling around the fields, but my hands are freezing.

Should I just wear 'any old gloves' for now or is there something sensible that I should buy. I'm happy to buy stuff, it probably will play a part in keeping me motivated.

I had a google, but there's so many choices and no idea what's suitable. Trail jogging/walking, don't need concealed compartments or anything, not leaping fences, just want to be a bit warmer!

Thank you.
Jan 2017
1:41pm, 20 Jan 2017
18,135 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
For the most warmth, mittens are better than gloves, because if you can keep your fingers touching, you reduce the surface area where heat can escape.
Jan 2017
1:44pm, 20 Jan 2017
11 posts
  •  
Brig
Welcome! I have several thousand pairs of gloves! Lol I find layering helps so have some £4.99 silk liner gloves from Decathlon which serve as base layer/is it cold enough for gloves/just in case globes and then some stretchy cheap ones from Primark (2 pairs for £1) to,pop on top if needed. Additionally I have "running gloves" but find I don't feel they're either warm enough or comfy enough. When fell running in the rain I use Sealskin gloves and when it is totally freezing your bits off weather I have some Buffalo mittens to pop on top of all the other gloves I'm wearing 😃😃😃
Jan 2017
1:48pm, 20 Jan 2017
9,428 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
My device is go to a shop like Blacks and try some North Face there. They do some good ones that have a bit of fleece but aren't too heavy.

Proper running gloves from running brands like Nike or Gore are shite. You spend 20-30 quid for something about as warming as piece of silk.
Jan 2017
1:48pm, 20 Jan 2017
9,429 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Advice, bien sur! Not device 😀
Jan 2017
2:02pm, 20 Jan 2017
7,343 posts
  •  
Duchess
You don't need special "running" gloves unless you're going to be out in silly weather, but having warm hands will make you feel an awful lot better, particularly if youre already noticing it. (They have an added bonus of ensuring that you do slightly less damage to your hands when you fall over, which you will do at some point).

My Fetch secret santa brought me a pair of fleece Nike gloves this year which are wonderful, although they are also pink which may not appeal. They haven't been tried in the wet yet. I've run in a pair of knitted gloves that someone's gran knitted.
Jan 2017
2:08pm, 20 Jan 2017
1,232 posts
  •  
jdarun
I've never worn anything more than my lightest gloves when running. I get cold hands easily enough just walking around (and have v thick gloves for cycling) but I find that running generates enough heat that I never need much added protection. Same for head. Make sure the gloves cover your wrists and meet your sleeves.
Jan 2017
2:09pm, 20 Jan 2017
10,133 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I would highly recommend the ones with a windproof mitten that can be tucked away if you get too warm - Ronhill do some, I love mine - far warmer than ordinary running gloves.
Jan 2017
2:14pm, 20 Jan 2017
104 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
I just use a pair of ordinary (one size fits all) knitted gloves, but then my hands are usually OK tucked into long sleeves. These can be bought v. cheap and can be washed and dried as necessary. OH has posh running gloves, but his hands do seem to get cold more easily than mine.

My ears on the other hand need covering even in the middle of summer if it's windy.
ERM
Jan 2017
2:18pm, 20 Jan 2017
346 posts
  •  
ERM
..anyone got a link to some good mittens?

About This Thread

Maintained by /skn
Hi guys, I'm only 4 miles (over 3 days) into my jogging/walking adventures and I'm pretty toasty w...