Garmin 235 advice

19 watchers
Jul 2017
8:13pm, 27 Jul 2017
8,424 posts
  •  
Ness
Fetchies are great for advice.

I don't mind the alerts on my 235. Did make sure I didn't wear it to a recent job interview, mind you. :-o ;)
Jul 2017
8:23pm, 27 Jul 2017
2,274 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
You can put it into "do not disturb" mode, but better safe than sorry in a job interview

MOVE !! :-)
Jul 2017
8:26pm, 27 Jul 2017
8,425 posts
  •  
Ness
I know. LOL 😂
Sep 2018
2:23pm, 4 Sep 2018
25,431 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Question about uploading training from a Garmin 235 to Fetcheveryone and Strava.

I currently use a Garmin 310XT. As I understand it, this sends data as follows: ANT stick > Garmin website > strava and Fetcheveryone. The thing I don't like about this is the need to go back to my PC and USB port to make anything happen, as this can be in some cases days after the run. (Especially if I am in Another Country!)

I have occasionally used my phone and the strava App to record training. This uploads straight to strava but it doesn't send to Fetcheveryone, as I still need to go to my PC to create a GPX file to import into Fetcheveryone. And I don't really want to carry my phone everywhere.

I am considering buying the Garmin 235. Am I right in thinking this will enable me to upload to Garmin and strava and Fetcheveryone from wherever I finish running without needing to go back to my PC? How does it do it?

(Ultimate goal is that I want to be able to populate strava and Fetcheveryone straight after my run. I am not really fussed about the Garmin website, but that's presumably an important element of any Garmin-device-related solution.)
Sep 2018
3:36pm, 4 Sep 2018
6,010 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Hi Synge,

you are correct, you don't need a PC. You finish your run, the watch syncs with your phone via Bluetooth onto the Garmin Connect app. This in turn syncs with Garmin Connect which then in turn syncs with strava and Fetch, all seamless without you needing to do anything.
Sep 2018
3:43pm, 4 Sep 2018
3,015 posts
  •  
jdarun
^ what CW says. I didn't buy the 235 for this, but IMO it's a major improvement on the ant stick approach of my previous model (610 in my case). It's typically all synched seamlessly (and the alert confirms it back to the watch from strava and garmin connect) before I've got in the door :-)

However. If you don't carry your phone the watch will have nothing to BT to. At least, not until you get back within range. Which may be good enough for you, or not, depending on what you really want.
Sep 2018
3:54pm, 4 Sep 2018
25,432 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Thanks, both, that sounds as if it is just what I want. (And, yes, I understand about needing the phone to get the data away. I don't normally run with it, but it will always be more accessible than a PC if I am away from home.)
Sep 2018
3:57pm, 4 Sep 2018
25,433 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Another question - can you confirm the maximum number of data fields visible at once?

I tend to have four showing on the 310XT when running. Elapsed time since start, total distance, current lap pace (ie pace for the current mile), current actual pace.

I can manage with just the first three of these, but wonder if four are available with what looks like a smaller screen?
Sep 2018
4:01pm, 4 Sep 2018
6,011 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
4 is fine, in fact with ConnectIQ (think Garmin's answer to apps) you can get many more, I think I have seen datascreens with 10!

4 is as the limit of my vision, but then again I am going blind. You can have these configured in a 1-2-1 configuration or a 2 up - 2 down way.
Sep 2018
4:04pm, 4 Sep 2018
25,434 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Thanks, CW.

About This Thread

Maintained by MaT.T
Hello everyone.

Got myself a 235 yesterday and is all working fine, seems quite straightforward, ...