Gang, it's my first big race for five years in a couple of weeks. Bricking it slightly, and I have forgotten what to do.

4 watchers
Mar 2019
2:09pm, 25 Mar 2019
5,262 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I mean not what to do exactly, I put one foot in front of the other etc. But due to surgery/new family/reasons I am running the Berlin Half in two weeks and it's the first "proper" race for me in years.

And it's in Berlin, so not just down the road, so I am trying to ensure I pack everything I will need. And think about what I should/shouldn't do the the days leading up to the race (Sunday morning is when it kicks off, we land in Berlin Thursday afternoon).

I have been doing the Hal Higdon super basic utter newbie training plan (my title) and it's been going fine. One long run to do (10 miles, which still leaves 5k to add-on come race day which seems a large amount to add on. I was thinking of running 17/18km Sunday instead of the 16 in the plan but I know that is likely A Bad Idea) and then taper down next week. My legs are stiff and I know I will come out of this with blisters but I am fairly confident I will get round. It just needs to be in a state that means I can then spend the rest of Sunday with the family and still be able to walk around town.

I'm overthinking this, and rambling, but outside of a kit checklist, what should I be doing? And what would/wouldn't you do the two days prior to the event, bearing in mind I will have the wife and mini-Bloom (now two!) in tow? I feel like i am starting again!
Mar 2019
2:37pm, 25 Mar 2019
184 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
Can.t advise but am following. 5 weeks until my first ever race (the local half) and will be on holiday until 2 days before. Good luck with your race, and I'll also read any advice 😊
Mar 2019
2:47pm, 25 Mar 2019
190 posts
  •  
ageingtractor
I did the Berlin half a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Like you I arrived a couple of days early. One thing Mrs AT and I did was to go on the city tour bus to orientate ourselves and also spot some potential areas for further investigation post race. Saves the legs a bit but also helps pass the time. You can always get off if there is an area that particularly catches your eye.
As for prep I would stick to the 10 miles. You need to leave something in the tank and race day atmosphere plus adrenaline will hopefully pull you through. Plan your journey to the race start as when I did it it was a bit disorganised and pretty crowded. They may have sorted this now of course. Good luck.
Mar 2019
2:49pm, 25 Mar 2019
5,263 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Thanks Turtle and thanks AT, bus seems like a good idea. Mini-Bloom loves them as well so should keep him occupied! And yes, the getting to the start has be a bit concerned as have the family there as well, otherwise I would just bumble along until someone pointed me in the right direction!
Mar 2019
2:57pm, 25 Mar 2019
30,855 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
By the way, you win the longest thread title eva! (or as far as I can remember!)

10 miles is plenty for your longest run. Though more is always better, more can also be injury, demotivating etc. so if the HH basic plan is the one you've done, can't fault that.

You can do some bits of fast, stuff, hilly stuff, as long as it's all shorter this week, then lots of rest the following week (don't substitute with cycling, swimming or gym, just relax and enjoy taper).

Come race day, set off slower for first mile than you think. Run well within yourself to 6 miles, push on from 7-11 miles, then go as hard as you can, hanging on for grim death for 12 and 13 and a glorious finish!

Enjoy! medal :-) G
Mar 2019
3:15pm, 25 Mar 2019
1,033 posts
  •  
old mum
Go out there, put one foot in front of the the other, don't try to beat/match/equal any times from previous races.

In short, go and fucking love every minute of it. Best of luck to you.
Mar 2019
3:21pm, 25 Mar 2019
5,265 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Thanks both. I will keep the training run to 10 miles as well then. it has a couple of hills in there, one tough one, so will class that as an extra km :-)
Mar 2019
3:37pm, 25 Mar 2019
12,432 posts
  •  
Homer
Hi Herman, I just did a half on Sunday after many years off. Luckily it was local so no worries with packing.

10 is fine. I went a bit further but I was still worried on the day so not sure how much it really helped. I didn't need to be worried. I'd forgotten how different race day is and how much other runners, supporters and the atmosphere drive you on (and mid-week miles).

I decided not to push on the day and went easy. I stayed within myself until the 12 mile marker and I am glad I did. Today, the day after, I feel good and can't wait to do another one.

I hope you have a great build-up and a wonderful day
Mar 2019
3:48pm, 25 Mar 2019
5,266 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Oh thanks so much Homer, what a very encouraging post!
Mar 2019
3:50pm, 25 Mar 2019
7,114 posts
  •  
larkim
Eat well, drink well, sleep well in your last 2 days. Hopping on the bus sounds eminently sensible too.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
I mean not what to do exactly, I put one foot in front of the other etc. But due to surgery/new fami...