Hello ladies!

1 watcher
Nov 2013
8:11pm, 17 Nov 2013
14,989 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm thinking out loud at the moment. The qualifying races for our club league have just finished, and the leagues are decided. As men's captain, when I report to the AGM, I'll make a point of how keenly fought the men's leagues were.

In the women's leagues, pretty-much any woman who entered 8 races, regardless of position, will win a prize (actually, to be fair, there are two exceptions).

The thing is, the closeness and the competitive nature of the men's league has resulted in some huge improvements this year, and I'd like to think that the same could happen with the women.

I'm not on my club's committee, so can't actually make changes, and the ladies' captain is a Fetchie herself, so I'm treading on her toes really and she could probably answer me straight away, but I'm interested in the experience of ladies who run with a club.

Does having a league pitting you against other ladies motivate you? What would make you participate more keenly?

I'm interested in your observations. Probably won't be able t do anything with them, though...
Nov 2013
8:17pm, 17 Nov 2013
1,059 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Personally being part of a Ladies League competition in my club makes no difference to me. I'm not particularly competitive and joined a club for social benefits, to find new running routes and companionship. I try to beat my own times but not other peoples' (probably just as well or I would have given up years ago...). Being busy working, having responsibility for the feeding of and ferrying about of children, washing etc mean that I don't train as much as I need to to improve and that's just the way it is.
Nov 2013
8:19pm, 17 Nov 2013
1,143 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
Yes, it definitely motivates me. The points if you run thing works in favour of the slower ladies too as they can run for their club and still get recognition even if not quite "up there" with times etc...
Nov 2013
8:25pm, 17 Nov 2013
2,173 posts
  •  
Curly45
I never bother with our club league races because there are so many, but we have so many trophies to compete for that I think the variety in aims and competitors is good. As women's vice captain I do one focus a year, this has been the local xc league as its only 4 races, everything else is secondary.

Actually what has happened though is by working on teams for that we've built the team up for everything, so it will all be more competitive this year. Guess what I'm saying is, the club need to decide what they want to use the league for and promote it as such, but not worry too much if it comes out as something different.
Nov 2013
3:20pm, 19 Nov 2013
1,060 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I would like more points for turning up - sometimes that is a real achievement for me! Especially as I'm getting older so I'll never get any faster and won't get any PB bonus points.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I'm thinking out loud at the moment. The qualifying races for our club league have just finished, a...