Fetch Fliers? Soar here! :-)

4 watchers
May 2016
1:56pm, 10 May 2016
11,735 posts
  •  
Dvorak
If you want the flight experience, but without the training, some places do tandem flights. Olu Deniz in Turkey is a big place for it (also for solo flying). Here's my pic from there:

and a short video members.virtualtourist.com
May 2016
5:21pm, 10 May 2016
25,647 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, how high were you in that pic Dv?

I'm hoping I can haul myself up and down hills without too much trouble. All up weight of kit is less than 25kg nowadays, prob under 20 actually. And I'm up and down hills with running often enough. I'm a few kg heavier than VLM days, but not too bad.

Angus, you should def do it. First time I took off the side of the hill was the most exhilarating but serene experience.

Tandem flights are £100 odd aren't they? And a taster day seems to be £175 (was about £50 when I did it, 25 years ago!) But my whole 6 day hols, 5 days flying is 750 Euros including accommodation. What's that 600 quid - all kit, instruction, accommodation. Cheap flights from Edinburgh to Malaga. I think it's a bargain. Cheaper than skiing. :-) G
May 2016
10:44pm, 10 May 2016
10,922 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
I spent more time than I could really afford this afternoon immersed in that web-site (and subsequently BHPA and YouTube :-)). I am properly tempted to take a week off at the end of term before I have to take sole responsibility for the kids and get out there.
May 2016
2:33pm, 23 May 2016
25,659 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
It was great Angus. I'm almost definitely going to sign up for the next level course, the Club Pilot level. The EP level was really hard work physically (more hiking up hills, through crops and ploughed fields with little bits of flying interspersed!). The CP course will be more "proper" flying.

It was great anyway though. And a good group, nice accommodation and all really good value, to my mind. And I got flights for just over 100 quid and car hire for under £10. How mad is that?! :-) G
May 2016
10:28pm, 23 May 2016
11,772 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Glad you enjoyed it :-) (and ... told you about all the climbing back up :-p)

Realized I never answered your previous questions, sorry. Flight was from the Babadağ, elevation 1973m, though as flights were off the face not the summit starting slightly lower. I was probably around 1300-1400m in the pic. Flights varied from £40-£70 iirc around eight years ago - much cheaper than UK.

So you are now the holder of a pilot's licence medal?
May 2016
11:35am, 24 May 2016
25,661 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
EP only Dv - Elementary Pilot. Qualifies you to... do nothing at all except go on the CP course to be a Club Pilot. Even after that BHPA, the UK association, then only allow you to fly under supervision from a club coach until you've done a certain number of hours, tasks and the pilot exam.

I'm keen to do the CP course. Maybe in autumn in Spain again. I'm getting emails from some of the guys from my course saying that they flew from Sierra de Lijar just one and two days on from the course that I did. Higher, longer flights and no walking back up. Argh! google.co.uk :-) G
Sep 2016
1:36pm, 14 Sep 2016
25,920 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Very much looking forward to my second week paragliding in Spain in 3 weeks time. It's the Club Pilot course and some of the guys got up to several thousand feet height in their course back in June. Hope we get as good flights in too.

Anyone else got any flying tales to relate? :-) G
Sep 2016
2:18pm, 14 Sep 2016
11,359 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I wish. Not yet, but it's definitely going to happen. Probably (hopefully) next year.

Have a great time in Spain. Are you going back to the same place?
Sep 2016
9:53am, 16 Sep 2016
25,925 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yes, FlySpain again Angus. Algodonales, flying to Seville this time instead of Malaga. Even cheaper flights! :-) G
Oct 2016
4:39pm, 7 Oct 2016
25,976 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Off to Spain tomorrow to (hopefully) complete my Club Pilot course and qualification. And most importantly, get some bigger, longer flights. Yay! Have fun Fetchies! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Any paragliders, para motorers (sp?) or hang gliders in the Fetch massive?

Also, extending it to powered aircraft, fixed wing, rotor etc. too as discovered we have a few qualified pilots in Fetch (BarefootEm, ChrisHB?!) :-) G