Fetch Fliers? Soar here! :-)

4 watchers
Apr 2016
10:02am, 8 Apr 2016
25,465 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Any paragliders, para motorers (sp?) or hang gliders in the Fetch massive?

I did it for a bit about 20 years ago, then my boy was born and I didn't have the time or money. So, to replace our late cancelled ski trip, I have booked this as an alternative to look forward to.

flyspain.co.uk

So, anyone do paragliding? What are the modern canopies like compared to 20 years ago. Has the harness/seat and rest of kit got any lighter? Are the canopies more stable with better glide ratios? Not that they were particularly heavy or poor performance back 20 years ago, but would be great if they're even better! :-) G
Apr 2016
1:51pm, 8 Apr 2016
25,468 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Not many then?! Wish you could tag people. I'm sure Dvorak said he'd done it before...?
XB
Apr 2016
2:50pm, 8 Apr 2016
3,318 posts
  •  
XB
It's on my bucket list. But cost puts me off.
Apr 2016
3:29pm, 8 Apr 2016
25,469 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
750 quid for 7 day (6 night) holiday in Spain, incl accommodation, all equipment and tuition. Less than skiing?

If you do a second week to do your qualification, then you can buy your own kit. I always thought buying 1 canopy between two would work quite well. £1500 second hand. And you can sell it after 5 years for £500. So £200 a year between 2 of you. Cheaper than running?! :-) G
Apr 2016
4:43pm, 8 Apr 2016
11,617 posts
  •  
Dvorak
You are correct, G. In the Ochils. I achieved my Elementary Pilot licence (not an enormous achievement).

Oddly, I have, I think, also passed through Algodonales. On the coach from Sevilla to Nerja, the coach pulled off the main road into a small town where I was more than a bit surprised to spot a sign for a paragliding school.
Apr 2016
4:49pm, 8 Apr 2016
11,618 posts
  •  
Dvorak
(correction: to Ronda. Plenty of places to take off, but I'm not sure where you land ;-).)
Apr 2016
5:17pm, 8 Apr 2016
16,901 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Somebody was jumping off a cliff just as I was running underneath them down a zigzag last week, but I'll stick to skiing. ;-)
Apr 2016
9:31pm, 8 Apr 2016
25,470 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ronda is a famous little village up in the mountains. We were going to visit when on hols in Malaga. Went to Alhambra in Granada but never made it to Ronda.

It wasn't called EP and CP when I did it, but I got as far as side landings, ridge soaring but never quite got to top landings. Looking forward to seeing how far I get in a week of good weather. Took about a year to get 10 hours flying in Scotland! :-) G
Apr 2016
11:22pm, 8 Apr 2016
11,619 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Ronda is a pretty fair-sized town ;-), I've stayed there a couple of times. And in fact went from there to Granada, to see the Alhambra. Apparently those cycling types head up that way to go up and down the swoopy roads.
Apr 2016
1:05pm, 11 Apr 2016
25,477 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'll keep boinging this thread every now and again in the hope that among 75,000 fetchies there may be one or two trying paragliding?

Alpenrose - it can be more gentle than jumping off cliffs. More running down a gentle hill and letting the wing lift you up. But as you go further and higher, it makes no difference - you're a long way off the ground either way! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Any paragliders, para motorers (sp?) or hang gliders in the Fetch massive?

Also, extending it to powered aircraft, fixed wing, rotor etc. too as discovered we have a few qualified pilots in Fetch (BarefootEm, ChrisHB?!) :-) G