Nov 2020
10:57pm, 26 Nov 2020
35,042 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Do you like film, or the movies

Like to talk about it.

I was looking for such a thread yesterday and could only find the film games
I thought perhaps there should be a thread where we could discuss film, make suggestions. Especially if there's a film coming up on the telly that kind of things

I haven't seen a film in its entirety in a while, but last night saw The butterfly effect. It meant a late night it was a brilliant film better than I thought and starred Ashton Kutcher I admit the only thing I knew about him was he was once married to Demi Moore

Tonight by chance I caught Brief Encounter I must have seen it at some point, but not for a long time, staggered it was made 75 years ago. Still a classic even today and amazingly one cast member is still alive today the young waitress played by Margaret Barton.

Of course those who know me know I worked in a cinema for almost 8 years having not a real interest in films beforehand.

A long time ago now.
So this thread may explode or I'll find I will occasionally talk to myself
Nov 2020
7:24am, 27 Nov 2020
70,204 posts
  •  
swittle
Great idea, Owlie!

On the advice of Lazy Daisy or LipGloss, I started checking the films being shown on Talking Pictures. By chance, there was a season of Ealing Comedies.

'Passport To Pimlico' could well be a prediction of our Brexit woes: a ridiculous idea, that a small area of London was part of the duchy of Burgundy, and could declare independence.

The consummate professional, Alec Guiness co-stars with Stanley Holloway in a most unlikely bullion theft in 'The Lavender Hill Mob'; and 'Whisky Galore!', with Joan Greenwood and a young Gordon Jackson, is about a Scottish island and some salvaged spirits.

The producers did much on limited resources and many actors & actresses cut their teeth on these gentle films.
Nov 2020
12:10pm, 27 Nov 2020
15,671 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Hello :) I love films. Lavender Hill Mob is a lovely film - I like a lot of those Ealing comedies. Kind Hearts & Coronets is another good one.
Coming rather more up to date we all watched The Martian with Matt Damon the other night - it was terrific. Much better than I was anticipating, with a performance from Matt Damon that was very convincing.
Nov 2020
12:18pm, 27 Nov 2020
12,778 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
I'm an utter philistine where it comes to films, but I'm going to lurk here to try and better myself :)

We tried watching The Martian a few months back, but housemate fell asleep 5 minutes in and I followed a bit later. Been meaning to give it a better shot sometime.

Recently enjoyed Inception - although again, housemate dozed off mid-way (he sleeps almost as much as a cat these days)
Nov 2020
12:23pm, 27 Nov 2020
20,666 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
The “Hello to Jason Isaacs” thread is all about films.
Nov 2020
12:24pm, 27 Nov 2020
20,667 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
fetcheveryone.com/forum/hello-to-jason-isaacs-46151/
Nov 2020
12:31pm, 27 Nov 2020
15,672 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I love Inception - though it's one of those I have to keep watching and still am not sure I've grasped the plot.
Nov 2020
1:45pm, 27 Nov 2020
35,045 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Ooh thanks Angus wasn't aware

Also never understood what the thread was about though never really looked at it
Nov 2020
9:21pm, 29 Nov 2020
2,699 posts
  •  
TBR (TheBeardRunner)
Inception could quite possibly be my favourite film.
Nov 2020
9:36pm, 29 Nov 2020
35,058 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Not seen that one may have to check it out.

I find it hard to pick favourites though

About This Thread

Maintained by Night-owl
Do you like film, or the movies

Like to talk about it.

I was looking for such a thread yesterda...