A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.........

20 watchers
22 Mar
8:07pm, 22 Mar 2024
21,832 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I think it's a bit more than that Nellers. I think the characters are just *better* in the series - better 'drawn'

The time they have to broaden in a series always helps, but some of the major characters in the original trilogy are extremely one dimensional.
22 Mar
8:11pm, 22 Mar 2024
21,833 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Of course a film can never sustain more than about 2-3 core characters. The rest are always no more than bit parts most of the time.

A series can sustain a dozen or more.
22 Mar
8:18pm, 22 Mar 2024
42,476 posts
  •  
Nellers
For me (and I know I'm a weirdo) one of the great pleasures of the books and series and such is the way some of the side characters from the films get their time in the limelight and become more realised.

Mon Mothma is a great example but Yoda and Tarkin have also had a bit more time in the series and books and allowed us to see a more rounded character, all without contradicting the films precisely because there was so much empty space to work in.
22 Mar
10:15pm, 22 Mar 2024
67,296 posts
  •  
LindsD
II fozzy? AotC? That's my 2nd least favourite. V for me and R1.

Agree about Mon Mothma.
22 Mar
10:22pm, 22 Mar 2024
21,834 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Sorry, yes I meant empire. I was thinking 2nd film.
22 Mar
10:23pm, 22 Mar 2024
21,835 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
But returning to my original thesis, I think Ahsoka might just be the best character in the whole franchise.

Makes Skywalker, L look very wet in comparison....
22 Mar
10:28pm, 22 Mar 2024
67,298 posts
  •  
LindsD
Ah phew. Then we agree.

Andor for me. Flaws and all. Or maybe Galen but he's not as well developed.
23 Mar
7:47am, 23 Mar 2024
23,565 posts
  •  
larkim
Isn't it a bit of a truism that long form story telling generates richer, deeper characters and character arcs though?
27 Mar
12:58pm, 27 Mar 2024
6,250 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
finally today what I would consider to be a vaguely interesting episode of Crap Batch. Even then they find a way to make Omega as pathetic as ever!!

It’s my own fault. I still watch it every Wednesday. I am beyond help!!
27 Mar
1:19pm, 27 Mar 2024
23,602 posts
  •  
larkim
I must admit I enjoyed BB more when i was able to run the episodes back to back, rather than waiting for each weekly one.

Perhaps I should try to "save up" the remainder of the series.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
Cue that brassy fanfare! Trek has a thread, and now Star Wars does too.

A place to discuss any Star Wars films, series, books, comics, rumours, gossip, even your midichlorian levels!

This IS the thread you're looking for.