Fenix 5

9 watchers
Aug 2019
6:18am, 30 Aug 2019
114,307 posts
  •  
GregP
The price is in the same broad bracket as a MacBook Air.

My current MBA is a 2010 model. My Fēnix 5s is, I guess, 2017?

Boo.
Aug 2019
9:55am, 30 Aug 2019
18,522 posts
  •  
flanker
Badger, if I didn't have mapping on the F5X+ I might be tempted.

At some point while I'm still in warrantee I should do a proper battery length test, without navigation, and see if I get anywhere near the 33 hours they claim, and if not get it swapped out for a different one.
Oct 2019
11:04am, 3 Oct 2019
266 posts
  •  
Maccatheknacca
I had a problem uploading a run from my Fenix 5x to Fetch via Garmin Connect because of its size (since sorted by Fetch) I think it’s s GC issue rather than Fenix as I replicated the same issue with an old Garmin 630.

The problem seems to be recording latitude and longitude and elevation to 28 decimal places when I understand 6 decimal places is sufficient. I’m on the standard settings, GPS only and smart recording but wondered if I’ve missed a setting somewhere else or does everyone’s track points look the same ?

To be fair to Garmin, they have offered to swap the watch (out of warranty) for a refurb model but I don’t think the problem is with the watch.
Oct 2019
11:48am, 3 Oct 2019
3,154 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I've got the 5s and not having any problems
Oct 2019
11:51am, 3 Oct 2019
115,330 posts
  •  
GregP
+1 to K5 Gus
Oct 2019
12:03pm, 3 Oct 2019
267 posts
  •  
Maccatheknacca
Thanks - maybe just me then but an example of a trackpoint below from Garmin Connect GPX....

lat="45.92395939864218235015869140625" lon="6.86860210262238979339599609375">

<ele>1067.199951171875</ele>

Not a huge issue but when recorded every 3 or 4 secs in an ultra it just results in an unnecessarily large file - maybe I should just run faster😅
Oct 2019
12:13pm, 3 Oct 2019
11,412 posts
  •  
Badger
Internally it's a FIT file, binary format, same for location for all the Garmin units that use this format, and much smaller for the same data than the GPX. That's what's transferred directly from Garmin connect, so the GPX values are a bit of s red herring. How long an ultra is this?
Oct 2019
12:14pm, 3 Oct 2019
8,895 posts
  •  
larkim
I read this elsewhere:-
"Thirteen decimal places [in Lat/Lon coordinates] will pin down the location to 111,111/10^13 = about 1 angstrom, around half the thickness of a small atom.

Using these ideas we can construct a table of what each digit in a decimal degree signifies:

The sign tells us whether we are north or south, east or west on the globe.
A nonzero hundreds digit tells us we're using longitude, not latitude!
The tens digit gives a position to about 1,000 kilometers. It gives us useful information about what continent or ocean we are on.
The units digit (one decimal degree) gives a position up to 111 kilometers (60 nautical miles, about 69 miles). It can tell us roughly what large state or country we are in.
The first decimal place is worth up to 11.1 km: it can distinguish the position of one large city from a neighboring large city.
The second decimal place is worth up to 1.1 km: it can separate one village from the next.
The third decimal place is worth up to 110 m: it can identify a large agricultural field or institutional campus.
The fourth decimal place is worth up to 11 m: it can identify a parcel of land. It is comparable to the typical accuracy of an uncorrected GPS unit with no interference.
The fifth decimal place is worth up to 1.1 m: it distinguish trees from each other. Accuracy to this level with commercial GPS units can only be achieved with differential correction.
The sixth decimal place is worth up to 0.11 m: you can use this for laying out structures in detail, for designing landscapes, building roads. It should be more than good enough for tracking movements of glaciers and rivers. This can be achieved by taking painstaking measures with GPS, such as differentially corrected GPS.
The seventh decimal place is worth up to 11 mm: this is good for much surveying and is near the limit of what GPS-based techniques can achieve.
The eighth decimal place is worth up to 1.1 mm: this is good for charting motions of tectonic plates and movements of volcanoes. Permanent, corrected, constantly-running GPS base stations might be able to achieve this level of accuracy.
The ninth decimal place is worth up to 110 microns: we are getting into the range of microscopy. For almost any conceivable application with earth positions, this is overkill and will be more precise than the accuracy of any surveying device.
Ten or more decimal places indicates a computer or calculator was used and that no attention was paid to the fact that the extra decimals are useless. Be careful, because unless you are the one reading these numbers off the device, this can indicate low quality processing!"
Oct 2019
12:14pm, 3 Oct 2019
3,155 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Just done a GPX and TCX extract from Garmin Connect of yesterday's run ( I couldn't remember which format Fetch uses )

For GPX then lat/long are 26 dp, alt 13 dp
For TCX then lat/long are 14 dp, alt 13 dp

Is it the overall size of file which is the problem ? My first reading of your original post was that it was the large number of dp that was the prob.

My run yesterday was only 1.5 hours, although did a cycle on Saturday that was 5.5 hours and that was ok - not done anything really long for a while.
Oct 2019
12:15pm, 3 Oct 2019
3,156 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Oops, cross post with Badgers, sorry

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Thinking of getting a Garmin fenix 5. Is it great or a waste of cash!?