Feegles up your trousers

26 watchers
Nov 2019
11:14am, 28 Nov 2019
116,408 posts
  •  
GregP
You worried me then - I really like MVL and especially ABD).

Nice posts, Rae. My problem with a chronological read through is that I actually dislike Rincewind...
Nov 2019
11:23am, 28 Nov 2019
33,428 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
How have I never seen this thread?! Read most of the pre 2000 ones. Like the Death / Mort stuff and Witches most and I was going to add a *something* leaset, but can't think of anything.

Any of you ever read his two Sci Fi books. They are really good, in a comedy, light hearted sci fi kind of way obv, not Space Opera epic stuff. Strata and Dark Side of the Sun? :-) G
Nov 2019
11:45am, 28 Nov 2019
3,806 posts
  •  
Raemond
there's the 'Long...' ones as well, in conjunction with someone else, that I gather are more 'proper' sci-fi. I'm not tempted, tbh.

I have read Nantion, though, on of the other stand alone-y non disc one, which I thought was very good.
Nov 2019
11:50am, 28 Nov 2019
4,568 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I adore ABD... not Moist though.

Read one of the Long Earths and decided not to explore the others on the same basis that Grep avoided Unseen Academicals.
I'm glad someone else feels like me about The Shepherd's Crown, Rae. And IMHO Nation is a strong contender for the best thing TP wrote. There's an awesome audio version of that.
Nov 2019
1:19pm, 28 Nov 2019
21,691 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
We saw Nation at the theatre, Mr W had read it, I hadn't. It was good, so I still haven't read it.
Nov 2019
2:40pm, 28 Nov 2019
33,429 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks for signposting the Long Earth series. Hadn't heard of that. I thoroughly recommend Strata and Dark Side of the Sun if you like any kind of scifi (and you obviously all love Pratchett's quirky comedy).

Anyhoo, I may revisit a few of these - and lots post 2000 that I haven't read too. :-) G
Nov 2019
10:28pm, 28 Nov 2019
4,836 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
Think I started the first long earth, couldn't discern much pTerry input and got bored fairly early on.

Have seen the Troll Bridge short(a small donation made me a backer) - not a patch on the proper topdraw Pratchett books but some hints of our hero's genius - gently pleasant

I liked Pratchett's sci fi books too

Struggled with Nation though - tried twice and put it down very early both times.

Has anyone read the original carpet people ( not the widely distributed rework) ?
Nov 2019
8:25am, 29 Nov 2019
33,434 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Aren't carpet people and truckers the kids' books?

Stephen Baxter is quite well reviewed as sci fi writer in his own right. Of course, all a matter of taste.

I love reading on Kindle, so I'm just hoping to be able to read, read, read for my Christmas hols! :-) G
Nov 2019
6:37pm, 29 Nov 2019
16,088 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I've never read any TP books. After reading this thread, I've ordered two from the local library.
Nov 2019
6:51pm, 29 Nov 2019
4,289 posts
  •  
1step2far
Happy G, they are but they are brilliant.

I've read a version that was published in Dragons at Crumbling Castle.

Ohh which ones GM? :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Raemondo
I've searched in most of the ways I can think of, and I can't seem to find a Discworld/Pra...