Compression - the real deal or a comfort blanket?

4 watchers
Mar 2015
8:24pm, 19 Mar 2015
6 posts
  •  
MartinG
I'm currently considering trying compression wear to help an on going hamstring issue. However opinion on the real benefits seems to be mixed.

A bit of background to my problem, my hamstrings are only really an issue towards the end of long runs or in the last 1/4 of a marathon. I've started a strength training program and use a foam roller regularly to try and help the problem.

So any advice on if compression gear would help or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mar 2015
8:26pm, 19 Mar 2015
1,757 posts
  •  
Cyclops
No idea myself but I'm interested in the answer. Does compression clothing - especially socks as that is what I am considering - make a difference?

And hello MartinG!! *waves*
Mar 2015
8:54pm, 19 Mar 2015
15,737 posts
  •  
flanker
Works for me. Whether that is a placebo effect or not I care not, as long as perceive a benefit.

I think they mainly help on marathons and ultras on supporting the limb and delaying the onset of tiredness. I don't know if this down to improving blood flow, stopping necessary 'wobble', or just the support they give the muscle.

However the main reason I where compression gear is for comfort - it stops chafing, be that nipples, inner biceps or thighs. It also means you get to play find and seek when you need a pee on cold wet winter runs! :-)
Mar 2015
8:59pm, 19 Mar 2015
9,908 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I generally wear my compression socks for sleeping, or on the bike if it is cold. If I do run in them however, whilst my calves are fine, my thighs generally are tireder. So I reckon they are doing something but it's not all good panda. You may find the obverse.
Mar 2015
9:03pm, 19 Mar 2015
1,171 posts
  •  
RRR-CAZ
Compression socks work for me especially through the winter might be to do with helping to keep problematic calves warm.
Mar 2015
3:22am, 22 Mar 2015
7 posts
  •  
MartinG
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give compression gear a whirl - nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Mar 2015
7:34am, 22 Mar 2015
32,245 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
100% placebo according to current evidence. Or, in my anecdotal study of one person, a mild nocicebo ;)
Mar 2015
7:44am, 22 Mar 2015
11,086 posts
  •  
Argie
(Flanker and Raptor advice) + calf guards which work for me.
Mar 2015
9:26am, 22 Mar 2015
2,698 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
I bought some compression socks. They are hard work to put on and take off, but cosily warm in cold weather. Don't think they have any effect on performance/recovery at all.
Mar 2015
9:35am, 22 Mar 2015
343 posts
  •  
Dave D
Martin, I wear a pair of skins a400 shorts for the exact reason you describe - hamstring would suddenly go into cramp in the last mile or two of a long run.
Had multiple different explanations from multiple physios (weak glutes, a need for orthotic insoles, sciatic nerve issue, hips locking in the wrong position etc etc )
I've settled on wearing the shorts and getting a sports massage on my lower back (rather than the hamstring) once a month and touch wood I seem to be ok. I suspect the massage is the answer rather than the shorts but I'm not going to change anything while I'm ok.
Good luck, I hope you get sorted

About This Thread

Maintained by
I'm currently considering trying compression wear to help an on going hamstring issue. However opin...