Canary / Lanzarote tourist advice?

6 watchers
um
Jan 2020
4:31pm, 10 Jan 2020
1,590 posts
  •  
um
I think I am about to duccumb to the holiday sales & book a week in Lanzarote.
Have you any advice? I last went to the Canaries about 30 years ago, so things may have changed.

I'm looking for some sight seeing, some pool lounging, peace and quiet (no external noise, music etc) & some runs and walking. And a fair amount of food & drink.
Maybe even cycle hire - for (eg) max 20-30 miles per day and scenic & mainly flat, not mountain climbs & descents like some posted here.

Probably booking a villa (as opposed to all you can eat all inclusive hotel) in Playa Blanca.

Would appreciate any advice or recent experences here, or elsewhere in Lanzarote - or even other islands if I should consider something else.
Jan 2020
4:53pm, 10 Jan 2020
23,254 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
From our limited cycling, the bigger roads are very smooth, and the drivers are very courteous (perhaps because the law is very much on the side of the cyclist, but also perhaps because the people in Lanzarote are just nice).

A drive/ride through the national park is quite fascinating, seeing the lava fields and volcanoes. It can be quite windy when you get higher up, and it's obviously hilly.

We haven't spent much time in the south of the island though, as we've always done Club La Santa in the north.

The only place we've really visited in the south is Playa Chica, which is a cute little beach that is very popular with divers because of the natural cove that makes the water extra still.
Jan 2020
5:22pm, 10 Jan 2020
1,404 posts
  •  
Silvershadow
We stayed in an apartment towards the outskirts of playa Blanca on the right hand side if you stand in the sea looking inland and loved it. Then we stayed in an all inclusive in the left and side and were disappointed. We hired a car and did lots of hiking up volcanoes
Jan 2020
5:24pm, 10 Jan 2020
44,748 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Scenic? Lanzarote is hideous :-O Black lava fields punctuated by towns and villages that look like caravan parks. Riding uphill is a doddle in comparison with riding into the Lanzarote wind. And the food is all served lukewarm.

(Enjoy! But my advice would be to go to Tenerife or Gran Canaria instead.)
Jan 2020
6:34pm, 10 Jan 2020
10,999 posts
  •  
Ness
I spent my Christmas holiday on Gran Canaria. It was lovely. Would recommend it.
um
Jan 2020
6:57pm, 10 Jan 2020
1,592 posts
  •  
um
Thanks for comments so far .. we did Lanzarote, Tenerife & Gran Canaria once each in the late 80s/early 90s and thought the volcanic Lanzarote was the most photogenic (from the comfort of a car, not a bike saddle in the wind)

Whichever we do now (Feb/Mar?), the others may follow (Oct/Nov this year) or next year ...

But do want quiet - typically we reject anything that has evening 'entertainment' or any form or hint of motorised/noisy watersports.
Jan 2020
7:09pm, 10 Jan 2020
15,479 posts
  •  
jennywren
Lanzarote is a lovely temperature in November. The landscape has its own charm I think.
Jan 2020
2:25pm, 13 Jan 2020
5,070 posts
  •  
minardi
Same as silvershadow - on the right of Playa Blanca if you're standing in the sea. Near the marina. Love it there. We had a lovely villa a couple of years ago.
Jan 2020
2:48pm, 13 Jan 2020
1,149 posts
  •  
Wednesday Mouse
I've stayed in Puerto del Carmen and Costa Teguise, which were OK but rather touristy and not much scope to get runs in. Both seemed to be mostly geared towards all inclusive resorts, timeshare apartment complexes or snowbird retirement bungalows.

However, of all the canary Islands I've been to, lanzarote is the most scenic in my book. Yes it's all a bit barren and rocky, but that's the nature of volcanic Islands! At least in lanzarote there's a local planning law which prohibits high rise buildings, unlike many other of the islands whose landscapes are dotted with mega hotels, somewhat spoiling the view!
um
Jan 2020
4:41pm, 13 Jan 2020
1,602 posts
  •  
um
Just seen a few web reivews of James Villas, so looking at other holiday companies.
Villa Plus seem to have better feedback and better cottages? and cheaper than James?

Coming down to Playa Blanca or Puerto Calero ?

About This Thread

Maintained by um
I think I am about to duccumb to the holiday sales & book a week in Lanzarote.
Have you any advice?...