BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Calf injury

4 watchers
30 Jul
9:30am, 30 Jul 2021
51248 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I think not stretching in the ‘healing phase’ is to prevent re-tearing. It’s all about the muscle knitting back together properly. I’ve suffered in the past with tight calves and found foam rollering helped
5 Aug
4:36pm, 5 Aug 2021
39424 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've got some Skins calf guards / sleeves. Is the more padded bit for round the back? No instructions!

And do you wear them all day or night, when seated, when walking or just when vigorously exercising/loading the calf?

Thanks, :-) G
3 Sep
2:57pm, 3 Sep 2021
39605 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Well, the calf continues to be a pain in the ... well, calf.

It hasn't gone full "ping" on runs up to 5 miles or so, very slow, with rests of 2 days in between. But it still feels weak or tender. Am I just being too cautious.

Calf guard helps if standing or a lot of walking in day, it seems?

At gym 3 x per week I am foam rollering and doing calf raises.

Have I just got to slowly increase distance and frequency of runs? :-) G
3 Sep
3:02pm, 3 Sep 2021
51583 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
When I tore mine properly it was a few months before I trusted it again. I think building up steadily and being sensible is the approach. Avoid speed work and put your effort into calf raises etc
3 Sep
3:04pm, 3 Sep 2021
39606 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Might just be age DT. Even 4 years ago it only took 6-8 weeks and it was properly healed. This time I'm 10 weeks and still feeling weak.
3 Sep
3:10pm, 3 Sep 2021
39607 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
*my age I mean DT, not yours! :-O
3 Sep
3:17pm, 3 Sep 2021
51584 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Age is a very relevant point. I have several friends 40 or actually 50 + who have struggled with persistent calf problems recently. I had issues with mine too 18 months ago: not so much tears but more ceasing up if I tried to run hard

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by SailorSteve
Hi all, newbie here. Just noticed the window telling me that I "haven't contributed anything" so ...