Calf injury

6 watchers
Nov 2014
11:32am, 25 Nov 2014
First-time poster!!
  •  
Sailorsteve
Hi all, newbie here. Just noticed the window telling me that I "haven't contributed anything" so as well as being injured I felt like a drain on society too!
Starting week 2 recovery of L2 calf tear. 2 sessions of physio so far, next one Friday.

Fed up.
Nov 2014
12:51pm, 25 Nov 2014
13,665 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Head up Steve. Walking is safe even on a badly torn calf. Get out and get some fresh air! Good luck with the recovery and don't rush running again until its properly recovered. A month off, then start slow walk run sessions is my advice. It worked for me after an injury when I had to be brought down off Ilkley Moor (to the pub ;-))
Nov 2014
5:32pm, 25 Nov 2014
2 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
Cheers DT, I know you're right - and it could have been worse!
Yep, slowly, slowly catchy monkey etc. I've had a couple of lesser pulls over the years but nowt like this. Walking is awkward but biking is pain free. I'm resigned to another 3 weeks (minimum) without a run. Thanks again.
Nov 2014
5:37pm, 25 Nov 2014
3,034 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
I feel your pain..... I had a level 1 calf tear just before Christmas, which recurred a month later because I tried to do too much too soon. Plus not getting any treatment.

Has your physio got you doing the painful kneading the knot thing? My husband loved doing that.
Nov 2014
5:41pm, 25 Nov 2014
11,026 posts
  •  
colettedeann
that sounds painful steve - no advice - sorry - only sympathy x
Nov 2014
5:46pm, 25 Nov 2014
13,668 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
The classic problem with torn calves is after a week or ten days the pain subsides and it's so tempting to "try a little run just to test it" DONT is my advice. Do some balance work and slowly build up the strengthening. Don't be in a rush to stretch either ;-)
Nov 2014
9:22pm, 25 Nov 2014
3 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
RevB-Yep, painful needing has 'brought the house down'; Sympathy is appreciated C.

DT I know where you're coming from and having rushed a previous L1 there's no way I'm risking this one. 1/2 in March then Mara in May mean I have one shot to get straight. Thanks again guys.
Dec 2014
2:19pm, 2 Dec 2014
4 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
Update.

2 weeks + 3 days since injury. Had my 4th blast of magic laser yesterday. Since then I've done 2 'power walks' (2M & 1.6M) pretty much pain-free. Been cycling most days before that. Bruising mostly gone. Physio reckons I'm just about into 'repair' phase. Being patient is paying off. Bit grouchy but mainly thrilled with progress.

Sympathies to any new injuries out there. Hold hard!
Dec 2014
4:42pm, 2 Dec 2014
3,320 posts
  •  
Doctor K
Keep going, I did a level 2 calf tear (a small tear according to physio) in a race 9th November and it will be 4 weeks -i.e next weekend when I'll be able to get going again building things up. Patience is the only choice or it'll get damaged again.
Dec 2014
5:44pm, 2 Dec 2014
5 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
Nice one Dr K, thanks and good luck next w/e. I was so excited to be walking again I bet you'll be beside yourself to be running!! Hope all goes well.

About This Thread

Maintained by SailorSteve
Hi all, newbie here. Just noticed the window telling me that I "haven't contributed anything" so ...