Calf injury

6 watchers
Oct 2021
3:25pm, 18 Oct 2021
25 posts
  •  
paulcook
Mine took years to fully heal. And I occasionally still notice it. In the end mine seemed to get better from running more, though I did increase it steadily, and was advise I did get from one physio.
Oct 2021
10:14am, 21 Oct 2021
40,026 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm liking that idea Paul, that running can fix it! As with everything, I think just time, and hope, seem to help!

I managed some "speed" training, last night with club. Haven't even attempted anything like that for months, so maybe it's improving. Still very tentative though!

I've booked in a sports massage with a different person to my normal. Last time it didn't seem to help. (Though to be fair to them, the injury was in a different phase then. It might be now that it is largely healed, but with some scar tissue, that massage may help with. Then, it may still have been slightly torn and needed repair and strengthening, not massage. Dunno!) :-) G
Oct 2021
7:49pm, 24 Oct 2021
23,153 posts
  •  
Dave A
Had my 1st run for just over 2 weeks. Well, 16 mins of run/walk 1 min on and 1 min off. No issues.
I’ve been exercising and stretching it every day for nearly 2 weeks so hopefully I’m going in the right direction.
Oct 2021
11:25am, 30 Oct 2021
23,157 posts
  •  
Dave A
Just finished with the physio. He’s happy there are no major issues and a few tweaks he’s given me to the exercises etc should mean there’s no future problems.
Oct 2021
12:02pm, 30 Oct 2021
40,055 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Good news Dave. I've got massage on Monday. Had a week off work family stuff so hopefully rest will have helped.

What are your exercises, out of interest? I'm just doing calf raises 3 x 15 each and 3 x per week. Should I be doing more?

:-) G
Oct 2021
12:17pm, 30 Oct 2021
52,432 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’ve got a fairly minor calf strain and am doing heel raises 20 to 30 four or five times per day
Oct 2021
12:47pm, 30 Oct 2021
23,158 posts
  •  
Dave A
I’ve not been sent through the full program yet. Very little for my calves, probably single leg raises to exhaustion and more stretching. He went through a couple of bits/drills around warming up pre run too. The stuff I’ll be doing is making sure I don’t damage the meniscus any more.
Nov 2021
8:16pm, 1 Nov 2021
23,159 posts
  •  
Dave A
As mentioned. The physio wasn’t too concerned about my calves. He said they were strong enough and the pull I’d felt was tightness. I’ve ran (run/walked) twice since Saturday and they’ve behaved. The strength work specific for calves I’ve got is single leg calf raises holding a weight.
Nov 2021
8:24pm, 1 Nov 2021
52,510 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’m at that anxious pain-free when date I run again phase
Nov 2021
8:27pm, 1 Nov 2021
23,160 posts
  •  
Dave A
Been there. Then when it’s pain free there’s the one about how fast do I dare run?

Luckily, in a sense, having a knee injury helps keep the pace and run length in check.

About This Thread

Maintained by SailorSteve
Hi all, newbie here. Just noticed the window telling me that I "haven't contributed anything" so ...