Beginners GPS watch

1 watcher
May 2016
7:16pm, 2 May 2016
1,892 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
Am fed up of running with my phone! Any recommendations please. I have been looking at the Garmn Forerunner 10 or 15. Thoughts
May 2016
7:45pm, 2 May 2016
1,435 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 which I bought off Amazon relatively cheaply. Not too fancy, but will give the time, distance covered, average pace and calories burned.

It will need recharging a couple of times a week and needs to be fully charged if about to run a marathon or ultra in excess of 5:00 to 5:30 hours. But for me, it works fine and does all I need it to.
May 2016
7:47pm, 2 May 2016
709 posts
  •  
larkim
I'd go with a TomTom Runner as a good first watch. Bluetooth so you don't need to plug it into the PC (which you have to do with the Forerunner 10, and I think the 15 too). Long battery life so you're not always forgetting to get it charged (as my son does with his Forerunner 10). More features than the Forerunner 10 too.

Only downside is that whilst it allows autoupload to strava (and therefore to Garmin Connect too) I couldn't get it to autopopulate to Fetcheveryone. But downloading from strava / Garmin Connect and uploading to Fetch isn't too much hassle.

Having said all of that, since I started running with a watch rather than a phone I've now felt obliged t invest in a FitBelt so that I can carry my phone with me more often for "emergency" use, and whilst I'm sure using a fitbelt with a phone which was also doubling as a GPS probably wouldn't be very effective, it's worth thinking about how important it is to you to be contactable by family etc in the event of some disaster befalling them (or you!))
May 2016
8:23pm, 2 May 2016
316 posts
  •  
Daz Love
I would go for a Garmin over anything. I had the 10 for ages but then moved to the 220. Never had any other brand but people at the club have had Nike and Tom Tom and wished they went for Garmin!
May 2016
8:40pm, 2 May 2016
7,250 posts
  •  
Ness
I'd recommend a Garmin. I started with a 305 have since replaced it with 110s. I've had two cos I broke the power button on the first one. This was down to me being very clumsy though. I've had the second one for some time now and it works well...

amazon.co.uk
May 2016
10:52pm, 2 May 2016
6 posts
  •  
deansaliba
I also started running with an app on my phone (Runtastic and then Strava) for about a year and then picked up my Garmin Forerunner 10 on Ebay for about £50.
May 2016
1:48am, 3 May 2016
2,778 posts
  •  
Old Man
Garmin forerunner 10, great beginners watch, does all you need easily. 15 has the heart rate addition if you run to your hr. You would also need to wear the chest strap

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Am fed up of running with my phone! Any recommendations please. I have been looking at the Garmn For...