Beginners

99 watchers
Aug 2017
2:22pm, 16 Aug 2017
2 posts
  •  
rss212
thank you so much for all of your advice. it is so helpful. so the overall consensus is that running for 1 minute, walking for 4 minutes, 8 times is not a reasonable amount for a beginning? like 50 minutes is too long for a newbie to go out and exercise for, yes? I feel good after, like not ready to collapse or anything. but I do feel like i've worked hard.
Aug 2017
2:53pm, 16 Aug 2017
11,000 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
The sessions I do with my groups are often around that length in total - including a warm-up and cool down with stretches; 8 lots of running for a minute with walk breaks is fine at this stage - I would personally shorten the walks, but that's just me. If it's a plan that suits you and you feel good afterwards, stick with it :)
Aug 2017
3:47pm, 16 Aug 2017
393 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Welcome rss. As AL mentioned in her previous post don't run too fast, I made that mistake too, if you can talk whilst running it's the right pace, if you can not it's too fast. Good luck, persevere and most of all enjoy it.
Aug 2017
2:03pm, 24 Aug 2017
1,513 posts
  •  
VicksterH
Welcome to Fetch RSS and congratulations on starting your running career, I really hope you get hooked! And would echo what AL said about not running to fast. I always used to go too fast, and get so disheartened that I couldn't go further without walking. Eventually I figured out that slowing down a bit would help. I would say for a beginner, its probably almost impossible to run 'too slowly' and very, very easy to run too quickly so if you think you might be going too fast, then you are!

Have fun
dbs
Jul 2021
6:33pm, 12 Jul 2021
First-time poster!!
  •  
dbs
I want to increase my weight
pjw
Dec 2021
1:13pm, 1 Dec 2021
2 posts
  •  
pjw
Hello everyone, a lapsed runner with a niggling ankle back to try again! Slow and steady as I often over-train very quickly!
Dec 2021
1:22pm, 1 Dec 2021
26,814 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Welcome! I probably do the same over-eager thing after an injury. Keep your head on the long game, and I will too. Deal?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
A thread for beginners to find support and encouragement. Join our beginners programme at:

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/beginners