Beginners

99 watchers
Aug 2015
1:54pm, 17 Aug 2015
6,689 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Welcome to Fetch Maggie and well done on getting as far as you have by yourself :) It could be worth looking on Facebook for informal running groups local to you - many of ours use this as a way of publicising their social runs. See if a local club welcomes beginners - most will let you try them out for a few weeks before you join. Good luck :) (but you have done the hardest bit! )
Aug 2015
8:17am, 21 Aug 2015
4,512 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Hello Maggie
I'd agree with the previous posts.. parkrun is a great way to run with other people (if you like having the support of others around you to keep you going I appreciate many people also don't like running with others) But it is a good way of seeing how much you are improving.
If you are running two or three times a week then extending the longer run each week is also good, up to a distance you feel happy with. My 'long run' each week is probably about six or seven miles.... but if I was training for a half marathon or marathon it would be longer.
You could also look at beginners training programmes for a 10k - even if you have no intention of ever entering one.

Most importantly - use this site... not just this thread but the other threads, the blogs, the games (Fetchpoint in particular is a good one to get you out running and vary your routes.)
Aug 2015
10:11pm, 23 Aug 2015
First-time poster!!
  •  
bootcampgirl
Hi all I'm about to start the c25k! I'm 7 stone overweight so I'm a bit nervous about dragging my fat arse around the block but I guess the only thing I have to lose is weight! Why are you doing it? Helen x
TT
Aug 2015
10:18pm, 23 Aug 2015
1,832 posts
  •  
TT
Hi Bootcampgirl, I'm in the same boat weight wise. I'm taking it steady and adding in weeks to bridge some of the jumps up in the c25k plan. I'm in no rush, done it before and know that I will get 'there' again. I found headphones and music helped to keep me focused on what I was doing rather than worrying about what people thought, just one ear then I could still be aware of traffic etc. I also potter out under cover of darkness, not sure on the safety of that but I love the quiet streets.
Aug 2015
10:31pm, 23 Aug 2015
2 posts
  •  
bootcampgirl
Hi there TT! I plan on starting the plan next week as I've not done any exercise in months so I'm going to do some walking this week just to break my new shiny trainers in lol! I used to run years ago (before I got fat) and loved it. I love running with music too. I'm a bit nervous about how my body is going to cope with the shock of running after doing nothing for several months- I reckon it's going to kill me!!! Are you dieting as well as running? I've just joined slimming world :)
Aug 2015
12:44am, 24 Aug 2015
89 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Hi bootcampgirl and TT, congratulations bunting to you both for taking the first step.......... joining Fetch. There is loads of support on here for you both, if you have any questions, want to rant, have a cry or anything else this is the place to do it. You will always find someone to pick you up dust you off and kick you arse when needed.

As it is, take your time, start slowly, follow the programme, repeat weeks if you want / need to and before long you'll be looking at longer distances.

For motivation and encouragement you won't find more than at your local Parkrun, no-one is left out and even if you have to walk it all you will be encouraged every step of the way.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you're getting on. :-)
Aug 2015
11:06am, 24 Aug 2015
3 posts
  •  
bootcampgirl
Hi Fenland thanks very much for your words of encouragement! I can't wait to finish the c25k and start going to the park runs - I will be well chuffed with myself!! Just feels such a long way off at the moment!!
TT
Aug 2015
11:45am, 24 Aug 2015
1,834 posts
  •  
TT
:-)

Which part of the country are you in Bootcamp girl? Can't speak highly enough of Parkrun. They are full of lovely, encouraging people. I'm opting to just volunteer whilst I get my confidence back up but I know for a fact that they would be supportive and encouraging even if I was choosing to run walk. They even have volunteer tail runners who keep you company and usually keep you laughing and feeling good all the way around.

Weight wise I'm a self confessed disaster area. I need to get it under control but I usually manage a couple of months then loose focus. I'm calorie counting using weight loss resources at the moment but have indeed found slimming world great. I've been target member with them... and with weight watchers... and with Rosemary Conley... I just have the classic yo-yo nonsense which is really, really unhealthy. So plan is to get fitter and just look after myself and to try not to obsess. From experience running might not have much impact on the scales but it does have a massive effect on my waist band, fat percentages and energy levels.
Aug 2015
1:31pm, 24 Aug 2015
4 posts
  •  
bootcampgirl
Hi I'm in Poole in Dorset. Weight wise I'm 16 stone 10lb and can feel the weight of every single lb when I try to run. I feel like a wobbling mess and it feels really hard on my knees. I know slimming world works so I'm just going to try really hard to stick with it as I know losing weight will make the running so much easier and more enjoyable.

I've just done a 3 mile walk in the rain in an hour so I'm motivated!! Xx
Aug 2015
3:42pm, 24 Aug 2015
90 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Bootcampgirl you don't have to be able to run 5k to go to Parkrun. As TT said you can run / walk it, 3.1 miles is 5k, so you're already there distance wise. You will possibly also see other people in the same boat as you and making friends will encourage you to kick each other when necessary and some good friendly competition is healthy too. Give it a go or just visit and see what goes on.

I hope you both achieve your aims and don't drop off your 'trainers' again.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
A thread for beginners to find support and encouragement. Join our beginners programme at:

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/beginners