Beginners

99 watchers
May 2016
10:24am, 23 May 2016
3 posts
  •  
serasqueak
Thanks for the welcome! I'm mostly treadmilling to build some confidence in the fact that I can remember how to put one foot in front of another! I'm sure I'll be outside soon... just maybe early in the morning!
Aug 2017
7:10pm, 15 Aug 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
rss212
I'm so happy to have found FetchEveryone! I am a newbie, just starting week two of a Runner's World training program. I'm actually repeating week one because I just feel that running a minute is still a challenge and I'm not quite ready to up the time spent running. During this second week of running for 1 minute and walking for 4, should I worry about distance at all? Meaning, should I set my watch for more repeats than 8? Or should I be pushing myself and upping the time spent running while keeping the total workout time at 50 minutes? Thank you for any and all help!!!!
Aug 2017
7:19pm, 15 Aug 2017
9,256 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Welcome RSS :)
Don't worry about pace or distance or anything - slow down if you have to and just keep on keeping on - and enjoy:)
Aug 2017
7:42pm, 15 Aug 2017
36,433 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
Welcome RSS! I would just do the week again same as last week and hopefully by the end you'll find it easier and can go on to week 2. There's no hurry, feeling good is the most important bit :)
Aug 2017
8:54pm, 15 Aug 2017
29,856 posts
  •  
GlennR
Hi there rss. :)
Aug 2017
11:46pm, 15 Aug 2017
14,056 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Welcome to Fetch rss :-).

Hmm, run a minute, walk four minutes, for forty to fifty minutes; that sounds a bit odd to me. If you are an absolute beginner, that sounds both a bit to run and a bit long overall. Of course I don't know your situation or your current fitness.

For example, I went for a run walk of forty seconds run, thirty walk tonight. Under half an hour. And I have done, well, a fair bit of running. Some do 30/30 or even shorter. I'd suggest making progress whilst taking it easy just now. Plenty of time later.
Aug 2017
7:54am, 16 Aug 2017
36,437 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
I think 10 mins of that will be walking warmup/cooldown if it's a typical C25k programme, D. But 40 mins does seem like a long time for week 1, I'd be getting a bit bored with that myself...
Aug 2017
8:52am, 16 Aug 2017
6,744 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Welcome RSS I agree with Fleecy. When I helped a friend start running we did a similar (unofficial!) run/walk programme in a local park but when she felt ready we upped the running very slightly - so rather than be dictated by the watch we would know that a minute might take us to - for example - just before the swings so when she felt ready we would try to get a little past the swings - at which point it didn't really matter that it was 1 min 10s or 1 min 12s etc it was just building up as it felt right for her. I wouldn't worry about being dictated by the watch at this stage - enjoy it you will start to see the improvements without feeling you have to really push yourself at this stage.
Aug 2017
8:57am, 16 Aug 2017
18,550 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Welcome :-)

Or if you do like the precision, make up a week 1b, that falls between the two. Habit is just as important as progression I reckon, so keep it up and good luck :-)
Aug 2017
9:38am, 16 Aug 2017
10,990 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Hello :) I coach a lot of beginners through Couch to 5k - if a minute still feels like enough running but you want to feel as if you are progressing, why not shorten your walk breaks? Take them down to 3 minutes instead of 4. Take care that you aren't running the run bits too fast - it's the most common mistake, you should be able to get a complete sentence out. Good luck :)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
A thread for beginners to find support and encouragement. Join our beginners programme at:

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/beginners