Basic Triathlon questions from those who don't know

1 lurker | 146 watchers
Sep 2020
8:19pm, 19 Sep 2020
6,854 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Oops, I didn't read your post properly. Forget what I said about Ant+, the new generation of duotrap clearly has both protocols. That makes it much easier, sorry for any confusion. It will work with your watch and phone without problem.
Sep 2020
8:20pm, 19 Sep 2020
6,873 posts
  •  
Helegant
Given that my 735x talks to the phone which talks to Fetch so I'm assuming it will work, but as a beginner cyclist I'm not at all sure what informtion I might need or want and what to do with it when I've got it.
Sep 2020
8:34pm, 19 Sep 2020
31,127 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
If you use this Helegant I'd be interested in your feedback please. I've nevercreally bothered about techie detsils - I'm just glad if I stay upright ;-) but maybe this would be a motivator to try and improve. Good luck with your cycling!
Sep 2020
8:43pm, 19 Sep 2020
6,855 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
H, bear in mind that Duotrap isn't going to give you much more than your 735xt does already. You'll get cadence of course and speed when using the bike on a static turbo. I like Duotrap, it's a neat installation. One of my bikes has its predecessor with an Ant+
Sep 2020
8:44pm, 19 Sep 2020
6,856 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
.... sensor in the front fork leg. Unique to Trek bikes of course.
Sep 2020
10:23pm, 19 Sep 2020
6,874 posts
  •  
Helegant
Thank you for answering the first of, what I suspect will be, a series of questions.

I haven't investigated the use of a static turbo yet - not even sure I know what one is or how to use it, so I'm on a steep learning curve. If i find myself using one in the winter I think it would be usseful to have some stats to show training effectiveness/improvement.
Dec 2020
6:59pm, 10 Dec 2020
8,398 posts
  •  
GordonG
As a swimmer who struggles to keep his legs from dragging through the water, here's a tip i wish someone had told me years ago: Jammers!

I wore a pair for my swim today and they were absolutely game changing. OK, I'm still not going to beat Adam Peaty but they kept my legs afloat and allowed me to concentrate on breathing and arm technique.

I've barely swum in the past 2 years and after a gap that long I'd normally struggle to swim for more than 20 mins. Today i swam for 40 mins and completed 1K, which is really good for me. and a significant part of that was the buoyance delivered by the jammers.

Like any sports equipment you can spend a little or a lot on jammers, but also like any sports equipment I would recommend that you get the best you can afford if you, too, struggle with sinky legs. It definitely beats trying to swim with a float between your legs!

I'll never go back to wearing normal swim shorts.

(From what i can tell it seems easy to buy jammers for males but there seems to be a limited market for jammers that are combined with the top half of a swim suit for women, but maybe i'm just looking in the wrong places!)
Dec 2020
5:37pm, 15 Dec 2020
12,457 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Gordon - interesting. I've been wearing them for a while and whilst they were certainly more comfortable than trunks and easier to swim in, I didn't particularly notice less leg dragging.

But then my hip/lower back/upper leg flexibility is so woeful that that has a bigger effect.

RE:M/F/U/O swimsuit styling, you can get swimsuits that are effectively Trisuits without the padding for both men and women. Not sure I particularly like the styling of the men's versions as, as opposed to the women's versions which often have open backs, then men's are very much like the same as trisuits and every time I've swum in a trisuit in a pool I've been far too warm.
Dec 2020
5:38pm, 15 Dec 2020
12,458 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Here you go: wiggle.co.uk
Dec 2020
8:01pm, 16 Dec 2020
8,404 posts
  •  
GordonG
Thanks for the link fozzy. I had seen those but my assumption was that to 'float' the material had to be neoprene - at least around the thighs - when many appear to just be polyester. Am I missing something?

About This Thread

Maintained by lammo
Everybody welcome, questions answered, get entered for:

Dorney Supersprint Sunday 20th May Mates wave A

humanrace.co.uk