Askeveryone

24 watchers
Jul 2020
11:10pm, 4 Jul 2020
10,530 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I'm fairly certain there's been some medical studies where it's been shown that if you don't *believe* a treatment is going to be effective, outcome is marginally worse.

Perhaps. I'm sure there's something in 'bad science' about it.
Jul 2020
11:17pm, 4 Jul 2020
65,499 posts
  •  
swittle
For consideration: the 'nocebo effect'.

health.harvard.edu
Jul 2020
11:23pm, 4 Jul 2020
6,297 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I was thinking more of being convinced that a treatment would have no effect rather than it having a negative effect, but I guess it’s sort of the same thing. Interesting!
Jul 2020
8:53am, 5 Jul 2020
36,641 posts
  •  
Nellers
The thing with the Placebo effect is that it simply doesn't have any effect on objective outcomes. You don't get studies showing that arthritic knees, for example, respond to sham surgery in terms of physical recovery but you might get reductions in reported pain. The main "placebo effect" is always in self-reported or subjective outcomes (reduced pain, self reported reduction in frequency of symptoms) and never in a truly measurable outcome (increased strength of a tendon, reduced bacterial levels, improved cardiac function).

This suggests that the so called Placebo Effect is actually an artefact of the study (ie. subjects reporting what they think they should, or even convincing themselves that they do) and, whilst it's an absolutely valid method for a control arm of a study it's not something we should be using as an actual treatment for anything.

So in terms of a negative version you could design a study where the subject was given an inert pill and told that it would do nothing and observe whether they report any effects.
Jul 2020
12:19pm, 5 Jul 2020
34,097 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Formula one

They drive round in big powerful motor cars race in countries over the world do the drivers use a car from each of these countries or do they take the same car with them across the globe.

How does that work?
um
Jul 2020
12:31pm, 5 Jul 2020
2,868 posts
  •  
um
2 cars, 40+ tons of kit etc etc
A lot of trucks, containers, air freight.

And that's probably before the team and drivers social suites. And all the team and sponsors logo stuff.

But yes, mainly shipped around the world in the 2 weeks between most races.

Jul 2020
12:33pm, 5 Jul 2020
12,173 posts
  •  
NDWDave
They are flown around the world. I know this because the company I work at did the cargo insurance for one of the F1 teams
Jul 2020
12:42pm, 5 Jul 2020
34,098 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Wow I did wonder, and thanks that's some task

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Don't Google it, Fetch it.

A place for life's least important questions.