Achilles pain

36 watchers
Jul 2019
9:31pm, 9 Jul 2019
3,062 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Sorry to hear that mr d - eccentric heel drops is best treatment, see the article I linked to further up this page

Get cycling if you can to keep fitness up, you should find cycling ok
Jul 2019
9:31pm, 9 Jul 2019
3,063 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Oops, further up previous page :-p
Jul 2019
10:07pm, 9 Jul 2019
27 posts
  •  
Ian5
Mr D-Can I go slightly against the grain and say you dont have to stop running.I find easy running doesn't aggravate my Achilles at all,its only when I try speed it hurts,it depends what works for you.
Jul 2019
10:07pm, 9 Jul 2019
3,288 posts
  •  
mr d
Cheers KS, has a quick read, will read the rest at lunch tomorrow. Already planning some cycling
Jul 2019
1:28pm, 10 Jul 2019
3,289 posts
  •  
mr d
Cheers too Ian, going to take a week off, then have a gentle couple of miles on Monday.
Jul 2019
1:42pm, 10 Jul 2019
10,700 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Eccentric heel drops really work.

Or if you really want to heal/strengthen the tendon, the exercises on this page have been very helpful for me.

raynersmale.com
Jul 2019
2:47pm, 10 Jul 2019
17,774 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I've had an achilles problem since a race over seven weeks ago (from about 7 km it quickly tightened up and became very painful). I've not done rehab exercises, just, once the pain subsided, gradually increased movement and introduced short jogging, then running. Which was fine and i went from being flat footed to running freely for up to 200m. There was also some hiking, where mild tightness came on, then passed.

Then i did a slow parkrun, which was ok, then a slightly faster one, which wasn't. Not back yo square one, but meh. My own fault for slacking off in the sensible build up and then pushing too hard.

So looks like those exercises are long overdue for me, though with my current rate of not doing stuff i might start them in a fortnight.
Jul 2019
2:26pm, 11 Jul 2019
27,214 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Oh blimey Dvorak, you speak for me there too : 'My own fault for slacking off in the sensible build up and then pushing too hard. Not Achilles, though foot-related for me. This time, I'm determined to do it sensibly for as long as it takes :-(
Jul 2019
8:28pm, 11 Jul 2019
3,290 posts
  •  
mr d
Thanks Cerrertonia.

Will be following in your footsteps Dvorak/LD.

I think not doing strengthening exercises, for my knee, and racing in shoes that had only 25 miles old, got me in this mess.
Jul 2019
8:46pm, 17 Jul 2019
1,862 posts
  •  
FurryH
Update.

Well i went through NHS. Had a scan organised by gp that ruled out achielles tendonitis as pain was in right and both legs were same. So was sent for outsouced physio. Cut a long story short did leg lifts and other leg strengthening excercises from july 18 to jan 19. Signed of as pain went. Gradually returned to run only to overcook it when to 5 miles.

Luckily my company got bought out and ended up with bupa cover. Thankfully the bupa physio know his stuff. Everthing nhs did was correct but for running he has advised leg lifts with weight pack. Now up to lifting body weight plus 25kg on one leg. Its made a massive difference to my calves after a run.

Going out to 3 miles tomorrow. Fingers crossed this carrys on working.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pace
Anyone got any ideas what might be causing my achilles pain. It has been with me about 6 weeks now, ...