Achilles pain

36 watchers
Jun 2015
4:43pm, 20 Jun 2015
11,016 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Did I read somewhere that alternating hot and cold baths was helpful for painful achilles? Heat to stimulate blood flow to a notoriously bloodless area and cold to reduce swelling? Hang on....

runnersconnect.net especially the 'Outline of treatment' section.
Jun 2015
4:50pm, 20 Jun 2015
2,794 posts
  •  
Curly45
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Did a few more heel drops and cycled earlier. Off out for a walk as soon as the athletics has finished!
Jun 2015
12:16pm, 24 Jun 2015
First-time poster!!
  •  
Sport Physio
Hello People,

We are currently (Sport & Exercise Medicine dept., Barts School of Medicine & Dentistry) conducting the study on Achilles and Plantar fascia tendon pain. We are looking for people who could spare an hour of their time on one day in second week of July!

We are investigating weather the pain you have is local or central (central nervous system) phenomenon. The procedure involves painless sensory examination on and around painful tendon and non painful side as well! You will be compensated for your travel and will be given complete test results.
The whole process will be conducted by sport doctors & physiotherapists involved in postgraduate research.
If you are affected by the pain on either back of the heel/ankle, or under the foot and would like more information please contact me.

Best Regards,
Zoran
Mob: 07985422266
Jun 2015
12:20pm, 24 Jun 2015
2 posts
  •  
Sport Physio
By the way Sports & Exercise Medicine department, Queen Mary University of London is where you will need to attend!
Aug 2015
12:02am, 18 Aug 2015
200 posts
  •  
Bex66
Have upped training volume too quickly and now my left Achilles' tendon hurts. Only have a month left until first half marathon of the year so hope this gets better soon. Am going to rest for 2 days, then cross train on Thursday and hope that it gets better.
Aug 2015
12:02am, 18 Aug 2015
201 posts
  •  
Bex66
Have upped training volume too quickly and now my left Achilles' tendon hurts. Only have a month left until first half marathon of the year so hope this gets better soon. Am going to rest for 2 days, then cross train on Thursday and hope that it gets better.
Aug 2015
8:46am, 18 Aug 2015
84 posts
  •  
Steve72
If in doubt don't do it Bex. It's not worth making an injury worse and being a long term casualty - take it from me! There's always more races to enter, even the same ones next year. It's hard to be patient but harder being a patient :-)
Tread carefully, keep a high cadence and short stride when you do run and good luck.
Aug 2015
9:01am, 18 Aug 2015
17,161 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Bex, get some ice on it and repeat as often as you can
Aug 2015
10:11am, 18 Aug 2015
24,898 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Bex, I got an Achilles problem after doing a hilly road marathon quite hard. It was pretty intense and went to see GP. The exercise that he gave me sorted the problem in 2 weeks so I could run again and by 4 weeks I was completely sorted. It's called Eccentric Heel Drops. If you google / youtube it, you'll find the exercise. Basically, the opposite of heel raises. You start up on your toes on a step (use a bar or something else to push yourself up to that position, don't do it like calf raises). Then lower your heels down below the step, slowly (10-15s). 2 x 10. Build up to doing one leg at a time (doubles the load, obviously). And if it's still not hard enough, you can add weight. Good luck. :-) G
Aug 2015
9:18pm, 18 Aug 2015
968 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Eccentric heel drops have always worked for me. I do this twice a day and occasionally at work with plenty of ice on the elevated calf in the evening.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pace
Anyone got any ideas what might be causing my achilles pain. It has been with me about 6 weeks now, ...